New Contributor

Re: Are you concerned about over vaccination?

Once your dog receives the core vaccines, they don't need to be re-vaccinated.  If concerned about the efficacy of the immune system to certain diseases, then titer them.  My girl will not get any vaccines since her immune system is compromised with IMPA.  This includes Rabies vaccine.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mucktao wrote:

Once your dog receives the core vaccines, they don't need to be re-vaccinated.  If concerned about the efficacy of the immune system to certain diseases, then titer them.  My girl will not get any vaccines since her immune system is compromised with IMPA.  This includes Rabies vaccine.

What is IMPA, @Mucktao?  My vet told us the other day that our Willie should never be vacinnated again......only titered.  That was our plan all along with him.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I am concerned, and only agree to mandatory vaccinations to allow my dog to be boarded when we go on vacation. My dogs that have lived the longest were the ones that followed that regimen. When I agreed to every medication and vaccination that the vet suggested, my sweeties had shorter lives. It could certainly be a coincidence, but I just do what feels best for us.

I agree with you, when I first owned pets I had them vaccinated for everything the vet suggested. Our beloved Calie got cancer and the new vet we took her to even said ," I bet she's had every vaccine know to man". We had to have her put down and now I only get my cat rabies vaccine , he's 13 and as healthy as a horse.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99  I doubt a 13 year old cat requires any more vaccinations AT ALL. I would not do any more rabies shots.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@blackhole99  I doubt a 13 year old cat requires any more vaccinations AT ALL. I would not do any more rabies shots.  

@SeaMaidenMy vet gives me the stink eye when I refuse the vaccinations as it is. When it's time for rabies, which is required in my state, he will call until you bring the cat in. I wouldn't put it past him to report it if I didn't have the cat vaccinated. Also, we live in the woods and my cat does go outside when the weather is nice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaidenMy vet gives me the stink eye when I refuse the vaccinations as it is. When it's time for rabies, which is required in my state, he will call until you bring the cat in. I wouldn't put it past him to report it if I didn't have the cat vaccinated. Also, we live in the woods and my cat does go outside when the weather is nice.

@blackhole99  My vet does the same with the stink eye...I just sign a refusal form...the vet still wants my business.....

The cat is 13.... he has  had enough vaccinations for his lifetime. I would not worry about him in the woods or what your vet thinks either. Just my take on it.  I know you will do what you want and I respect that.

Respected Contributor

Of course....just say no. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You find yourself a new vet,your cat does not need  more vaccines.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

It's all up to you.  Animals in most states are leagally considered property. Vaccinate or not against most illnesses is up to the owner.  BUT, RABIES is not given to really protect the animal.  it's given to protect the human against a deadly disease.  It is mandatory in many states.  Be aware that the door swings both ways.  if you refuse to get a rabies vaccine the vet may be within their rights to refuse to treat your animal.  and it may be a real headache/heartache if the animal bites someone.

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

It's all up to you.  Animals in most states are leagally considered property. Vaccinate or not against most illnesses is up to the owner.  BUT, RABIES is not given to really protect the animal.  it's given to protect the human against a deadly disease.  It is mandatory in many states.  Be aware that the door swings both ways.  if you refuse to get a rabies vaccine the vet may be within their rights to refuse to treat your animal.  and it may be a real headache/heartache if the animal bites someone.

This is a good point to make, rabies vaccines are required by law in many places.  Should your dog/cat bite or even just be accused of biting a person the first thing they will ask to see is the vaccination records.  If that is not available, depending in the area, the animal can be confiscated and put in quarantine. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.