Honored Contributor

Re: Are WE Too Old for another Dog?

We had to face the fact in our 60's that we couldn't have pets.  We both traveled at times for work and had relatives in another state whose health was failing.

It was the best decision we ever made.  The stress from work, out of town trips for relatives, stress, major surgery for one of us, trying to maintain our lives and theirs, then retirement for us and one of those elderly ones left--it would have simply been more stress at that point.

I miss not having a pet. But we agree we don't need the stress from it.  

Respected Contributor

As long as you have someone to take the pups in the event something happens I say go for it.  But yes, the training of puppies are exhausting!!

Regular Contributor

For me (I'm also a senior) the most important thing is to make sure you have rock solid plans for the care of your dog (or cat if folks are cat lovers) if anything should happen to you.  If that is nailed down, I say get the dog. 

I'm sure there are plenty of studies that show having a pet helps keep seniors more active and focused.  

En"joy".  

Honored Contributor

I don't understand some of you people who say get a dog.  That is, you are only a dog lover, get a dog.  How silly.  All animals deserve love dogs, cats, whatever.  Now you may prefer a dog and I prefer a cat but I love all animals.  Not, I am a cat lover or I am a dog lover and you can't own anything else.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan in California NO you are not too old!  But please adopt a rescue dog in a size and temperment that you are able to manage.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California - Another dog will be blessed by being part of your family. No - I don't think you all are too old!

@SilleeMee - You are a special person. (((HUGS))). Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're not too old if you adopt senior dogs- there are very many senior dogs needing somewhere to spend their final years with love. Please consider this option. We did & we are very happy.We wouldnt have it any other way.Heart Please look for a senior rescue.

Trusted Contributor

@Susan in California  Do what feels right for you and your husband.  I can tell you have lots of love and energy to give to a new fur kid.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I adopt older dogs. I take care of them until the end. At times it can be difficult caring for any aging pet but that's part of what I want to do for them. They deserve a good life in old-age just like we do. Adopt an older dog.

That's the thing.....it is difficult caring for a sick elderly dog when you are elderly yourself. 

Respected Contributor

You seem thoughtful and selfless to be weighing your decision carefully.  I vote Get the dog. Here's my reasons: Dogs get us up and moving, and if you walk them daily, that improves physical health. They give so much emotional, mental unconditional love and warmth. They make life better!
Since your son will take it if necessary, I say get one! But do get one in mid-life, hopefully a rescue that needs a home, and not with a 15 yr lifespan- And be careful that the 2 get along and I would follow the guidelines that the one you already own is always treated as alpha, so they hopefully love each other-  

My hubby and I adore our rescue and walking her at the lake is the highlight of our day.  Best wishes!! 💝