Super Contributor

Hi! I have come to the pet lovers forum looking for advice as I know you are a wealth of information.

I currently have 2 furbabies- a 12 year old bichon and an 8 year old mini poodle.  Those of you that recognize me know that I have had serious medical issues with both.  Both have had cancer and surgeries,  One also had radiation.  Chloe also has Cushing's Didease, heart murmur. enlarged heart and collapsed trachea.

Here's my dilemna.  I saw an 8 year old mixed breed dog that was taken in by a rescue.  He was in horrific shape as he had been attacked by several dogs and left to die,  He was found 4 days later with wounds that had festered.  He was highly septic and prognosis was poor.  I have been following him on the rescue site and have expressed an interest in maybe adopting him.  Today, the rescue texted me and asked if I wanted to adopt him as he is almost ready for his forever home.

My husband thinks that 3 is too much and financially we have spent alot on our two dogs, He thinks two is enough.

I am retired and home all day.  I love my furbabies and believe I could give him a good home.  I do worry how it will impact my two furbabies who love being with mommy.

Any of you have a simiar situation? Thx for any advice, 

I know ultimare decision is mine.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Three Dogs Too Much?

[ Edited ]

I had three up until last year when we had to put our old guy down. But mine have always been healthy. Well my one had a health issue as a puppy but after surgery he was fine. You're the only that can say if it would be too much for you. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@bichon mom If you have room in your heart for one more then it will work but it sounds like you need to think about the finances and whether or not it is doable for you and all the rest of your special loves.It would be tough if all three needed vet attention and the finances couldn't make it work.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh adopt the poor thing!  He would appreciate some love.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bichon mom  I think that if your husband really doesn't want a third dog, you shouldn't get it.  I think you both need to really want to own and care for (including all medical expenses in the future) that poor animal.  Otherwise, let it find a different home.  If your husband "never really wanted it"  I think the dog will sense that and future medical expenses may cause issues in your marriage.  I hope you'll pass and concentrate on the two you have.

There is also the possibility that the other two, esp. the older one, won't accept the new guy and you'd have trouble placing it, since it's that old.

I commend you for your big heart though. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

We have 3 dogs right now and love all of them. We did have 4 but lost one in Jan. from cancer. I think it's wonderful you are thinking of giving this older dog a forever home. Our local rescue has a tough time getting homes for older dogs. So you do whatever you think will work for you. We have a 12 year old huskey and when we got a couple younger dogs she loved it. More to play with. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Respected Contributor

I had 2 Sheltie girls when I was asked to "foster" a Sheltie boy, he was being taken to a shelter. I got him with the intention of finding him a home. When I got him home, I realized there must be more to his story than I know. I was told by some college girls that he was abandoned by a coworker. Long story short the college girls had paid $250 for him from Pet Smart charities and could not afford to bring him to a vet,and get him trained at Pet Smart for $99. He was due his heart worm medication and they could not afford it, so they told a lie. I found out he had been through a couple of shelters and 3 owners. It did not take me very long to figure out why he was adopted and taken back multiple times. He is a barker, if you know anything about Shelties, they can be barkers. He also howls when he is lonely. Poor baby, I could not get him into another situation where he was going to be passed around from shelter to shelter or even worse, so I prayed about it. I had to consider the expense, heart worm medication, Vet visits, shots, flea medication, groomer expenses, and the extra work and food. I kept him. It will be 3 years in May and he is still with me. He was matted when I got him and his skin was broken open on his back and now he is in great condition. I am used to Shelties so he is in the right place. Plus he loves his 2 sassy sister. Here is his picture. I named him "Chance" because he had so many chances. I am teaching him not to be so vocal. He is a cutie and I don't regret taking him in. 

P6271301.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bichon mom   I went from two to three  dogs one time....yes, it is a whole lot more work....a lot harder. I would never do it again.  I have two dogs now and that is OK because I am home all day. But three even being home is just too much.  Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

My husband and I were down to two tiny dogs. A yorkie and a Lhasa-Pom mix. About a year ago I got an unexplainable urge for another puppy. I knew it would mean more vet bills, routine but big costs like heartworm testing and meds, more indoor messes, inability to take weekend trips ( we gave those up when we committed to having dogs) and many other inconveniences. But we decided to go ahead. Got a chihuahua-terrier mix. She is now a year old. Weighs 11 pounds. Fun and ENERGETIC! I am semi retired,work only ten hours a week so the pups are not alone for unnecessarily long periods. All of the things that I mentioned as 'cons' on the list of pros and cons, have certainly become reality. But we love these lil guys so much that we sacrifice other things to ensure that we v

can pay for proper care and feeding, increased vet costs etc. Our other dogs are ages 6 and 10. We are 65. We have even made arrangements in the event that we both die or otherwise cannot care for our dogs. My daughter will take them.  So with all of these things in mind, if your heart truly wants to adopt this dog, and your head says that you can afford it, and if your husband will come around, then go for it. ❤️👍🏼

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Since your husband isn't enthusiastic, your finances are already stretched and you are not sure that your present pups would welcome a new dog, it sounds like you should allow another family to adopt this dog.