Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@goldensrbest   I am working with 2 holistic vets right now for issues that Willoughby has.  One of his problems at the moment is itching and biting.  He is currently taking Nettle capsules.  You can get these at the health food store or online.  This has really cut down on the itching.  

I prefer something like this instead of a med.  I try to use something natural whenever I can.  So far, this has worked.  It might be worth a try first.

Nettle is one of the few supplements i have not tried, i also worry about the effects of apoquel ,i am at the end of  my rope trying to help this itching ,and biting ,the grass is still brown here , it stops once we have snow ,then in spring when snow melts ,here it comes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest   Willie was driving himself and us nuts, especially at night with his scratching.  The house had hair puffs everywhere!  I had my doubts about the Nettle, but it is working!  He is 85 pounds and started out taking 6 to 8 caps a day....two at a time.  He is good about taking pills.  I just toss them on his food.  The last two he takes for the night are on top of a spoon of yogurt.  I have cut it back to 4 or 5 a day, but always two before bed. I bought the Oregon's Wild Harvest brand.  I tried the liquid and it didn't work as well. 

I hope that it can work for you.  The side effects of Apoquel don't sound good.  I do understand the need to find relief for our beloved furbabies.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs  Thanks for the rec.  I'll look into Nettle capsules.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs , I ordered some last night,to give a try. Boy do i remember brushing our old english ,halley we did it every day.Cambridge is 55 pds, how many do you think ,and how often?

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@tends2dogs , I ordered some last night,to give a try. Boy do i remember brushing our old english ,halley we did it every day.Cambridge is 55 pds, how many do you think ,and how often?

@goldensrbest The recommendation dose the vet gave Willie was for the liquid.  One tsp equals 250 mg.  She said to dose him  3 tsp (750mg) two times a day.  As I said before, the liquid didn't help.  The capsules that I have are 300mg each.  Like I also  said, he is getting 6 to 8 a day divided up 2 at a time...morning, lunch, dinner, before bed.   I have been decreasing this because his itching is more under control.  I don't know if it is accumulative or his itching has just abated somewhat.  My bottle says to take two twice a day however a dose of 4 may be required for best results.  It also said to take one and wait 24 hours to see if there is an allergic reaction.  I didn't do this nor did the vet recommend me doing it.  The liquid dose said to give 250 mgs three times daily for animals between 30 and 60 pounds.  I (JMO) would give one capsule and if there wasn't a reaction in a few hours, I would give another.  Your dog would probably need at least 3 to 4 a day in divided doses.  You could always call and ask your vet. ....depending how open he/she is to natural alternatives.  They could guide you on doseage.

I really hope it helps your dog the way it did Willie.

Honored Contributor

I do not find that the vets around here, are in to natural  care.I can not afford to find one ,that will.

Trusted Contributor

I had a Lhasa who was environmentally allergic.   She would be symptomatic for the three warmer seasons.  She itched and her skin would turn pinker.   I bathed her often with oatmeal/aloe shampoo or the GNC allergic shampoo from Petsnart.  That would take the seborrhea off her and stop the irritation.  Boy, that smelly, brown oil they produce with allergies is awful.  I then slathered her in pure aloe vera (Lily of the Desert) and allowed it to dry on her.   It healed amy scratches and really soothed her skin and stopped most of the itchies.  

I would suggest added Omega  oils in the diet and hyaluronic acid to boost skin and eye health (Hyaflex).   

Esteemed Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

I had a Lhasa who was environmentally allergic.   She would be symptomatic for the three warmer seasons.  She itched and her skin would turn pinker.   I bathed her often with oatmeal/aloe shampoo or the GNC allergic shampoo from Petsnart.  That would take the seborrhea off her and stop the irritation.  Boy, that smelly, brown oil they produce with allergies is awful.  I then slathered her in pure aloe vera (Lily of the Desert) and allowed it to dry on her.   It healed amy scratches and really soothed her skin and stopped most of the itchies.  

I would suggest added Omega  oils in the diet and hyaluronic acid to boost skin and eye health (Hyaflex).   

You sound like a good dog mommy, @NYwoman !  You were lucky that your dog wasn't allergic to the oatmeal in the shampoo.  Often allergy prone dogs are.

Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

You sound like a good dog mommy, @NYwoman !  You were lucky that your dog wasn't allergic to the oatmeal in the shampoo.  Often allergy prone dogs are.

My Holly was allergic to coconut oil/shampoo.  Poor thing swelled up!   Oatmeal is often used for allergic dogs.  I know a person so allergic she must wash herself with pure aloe vera only.   You can try that.   I have heard some people use car tar soaps, used for dandruff.   I never dared.