Honored Contributor

Does any one have their dogs on this for allergies, my red golden has eviormental allergies, grass is it ,tried so many  things ,supplements ,sprays , you name it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We give our pup (Jack Russell Terror Terrier) Apoquel 5.4mg - she gets 1/2 a tablet each morning.  It is the only thing that has ever controlled her itching.  We also tried many things.

Our vet requires us to check her bloodwork every 6 months while on Apoquel because I think it has been shown to elevate liver functions in some dogs in rare cases.  But thankfully her bloodwood is always fine.

You should try it for your dog. The first time we gave it to her, it literally stopped her itching within about 5 minutes.

Occasional Contributor

I have several friends whose dogs are taking it with good results.  I have a cat with allergies that an allergy shot doesnt help much so my vet put her on apoquel.  Unfortunetly, it didnt help her.  Good luck nothing worse than an itchy pet.

Esteemed Contributor

I have this for our female GSD. She has allergies to pollen, grass and dirt. She also has very sensitive skin. This gives her some relief but not total relief.She is an extreme case. It works for her. I can see a difference when we tried the on and off system. She tolerates it well. I also have a few sprays that I use on her during the change of the seasons when things are starting to bloom or die off. They give her some relief of the urge to scratch.  

Regular Contributor

I have a 16 pound Lhasa Poo who gets allergies.  I can walk him and he will come back with one eye red and puffy.  I give him Apoquel and it works within an hour or so.  Initially I gave it every day but found my dog didn't need it.  I now just give it as needed but wouldn't be without it.

Regular Contributor

I have a 16 pound Lhasa Poo who gets allergies.  I can walk him and he will come back with one eye red and puffy from sniffing grass, etc.  I give him Apoquel and it works within an hour or so.  Initially I gave it every day but found my dog didn't need it.  I now just give it as needed but wouldn't be without it.  It is expensive but well worth it.

Respected Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest   I am working with 2 holistic vets right now for issues that Willoughby has.  One of his problems at the moment is itching and biting.  He is currently taking Nettle capsules.  You can get these at the health food store or online.  This has really cut down on the itching.  

I prefer something like this instead of a med.  I try to use something natural whenever I can.  So far, this has worked.  It might be worth a try first.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

My sister has a  shih tzu on Apoquel.  She suffered for years and tried many different things without success.  Apoquel has been a miracle drug for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

My GSD has lots of environmental allergies also.  Apoquel has been very helpful.  Not only does she scratch and chew less, her hair is growing back and she seems to be more calm.  And as an added benefit ... we all sleep through the night again.  

We do blood tests once a year and she hasn't shown any abnormalities.   

It is definitely the right choice for us.