Respected Contributor

Anyone use wellness programs at Vets like Banfield at Petsmart and Forever pets

I love my two dogs like family.  I want them to have good care.  It is sooo expensive to do that now.  I am trying to find a way to get ahead of their health problems. I was wondering if anyone has used Banfield, Forever Pets wellness program, or New Day veterinary care at the Pet paradise boarding locations.  Pet insurance is too high and does not cover a lot and everytime you walk into a vet office it is hundreds or thousands.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone use wellness programs at Vets like Banfield at Petsmart and Forever pets

[ Edited ]

I'm sure each Banfield is different,  so the best thing to do, if possible, is to get some local recomendations.   I personally would not go to a vet who is part of a huge chain like Pet Smart. A friend of mine was doing that with her dog and they totally missed diagnosing a number of issues that were immediately picked up by my vet when she finally made the change.  Again, not to say they are bad, and that could happen elsewhere,  but getting a recomendation from a friend/neighbor who have had good experiences and have trust in their vet is your best option.   

Good luck ...  we chose not to purchase vet insurance for our dogs,  and understand how costly visits, meds if nec and procedures can be.  The better foods are high in price too!

What isn't these days?!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use wellness programs at Vets like Banfield at Petsmart and Forever pets

I understand how you feel, but the better Vets do not practice at Banfield.  They are not able to be hired by the better veterinary practices because they do not graduate near the top of their class.  They just don't have the skills that the better Vets have.

I do have pet insurance with Trupanion, and it's great.  I had Healthy Paws before that, and they paid extremely well.  Yes, it's expensive.  You have to get it when you pet your pet, because they do not pay for pre-existing conditions.  They also do not pay for wellness visits, but I didn't want that.  I understand that it's not something you want to pay for.

I have read horrible reviews about the wellness plans from Banfield.  Please read many reviews before choosing them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Banfield just includes routine services, e.g., check-ups, shots, etc.  They do not include coverage for other probems - it's just for the basics.  I found the doctors, though changed often, quite good as they were Tufts Veteriary School grads - at least in my town.  I require a mobile vet since I need one who does house calls.  If not, I probably would go to Banfield for routine care.

I'm looking pet insurance right now and don't think I'll purchase any.  Costs vary by, not only pet age, but by zip code!  In my area/state, it's quite costly (in the 150/200 per month range).  And, they all have the clause of previous problems are not covered:  no specifics on "previous", so take it from there!

My Eddy came to me after having a severed spine reattached.  (Thank God for the rescue who footed the medical and rehab bills!!!).  However, Eddy's older now and experiencing, as expected, ambulatory problems.  I'm certain that any insurance offered would find some connection to a medley of problems that might arise.  So, I'm gonna look into one of the credit line companies where issues you cannot pay for will be approved at a high rate.  Imho, this would be a safety net since vet bills are  extremely costly - you just can't budget for the unexpected.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll make the right choice!

Honored Contributor

@chiclet,

I think you have to research reviews of vets in your area whether Banfield or others, as others have said. 

When I was looking for a vet for our 19 year old cat, Banfield had awful reviews.

I also got recommendations from friends and what vets they used and then researched online reviews from their recommendations as well.

So it can be different for every city.

I also saw reviews of not saving any money at Banfield vs other vets in the area. 

I hope you are able to find a wonderful vet that you are happy with.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have no experience with them but I have heard not so good things about Banfield.

Trusted Contributor

I signed up for the Banfield Wellness program when our golden retriever puppy was 8 weeks old.  He passed away about 3 weeks before Christmas last year, just shy of his 13th birthday in January.  Banfield was really wonderful.  I saved a lot of money.  We did switch to a mobile vet once he turned 11 -- it was too difficult to take him to the in-store vet with his arthritis.  Plus, he was about 130 pounds.  I miss him so much it hurts.  

Respected Contributor

I have a friend who lives in Round Rock, Texas, who used Banfield for their beloved Cocker Spaniel.  He lived until 14, and they were quite happy with the care he received there.  They did have a plan through Banfield, but I don't know which one.  She is very picky and money is no object.  I would suspect, just like anything, that it depends on the exact vet who works there as to how happy you are with everything.

We have two pups who are 9 and 12 respectively, so they are getting up there.  (They are Boston terriers with a life span of around 14.)  Several years ago, we started putting $200 aside each month--$100 for each dog.  We use the money for vet care including their yearly checkups.  We do not use it for food, supplements, toys, flea/heartworm control, etc.  This fund is for vet costs only--checkups, visits, special meds, tests, procedures, etc.  Even using it any time we've needed to do so, we have over $4000 in the fund right now.  We realize that certainly surgeries could cost way over that, and we are financially able to pay any overage, but if they don't need anything exuberant in cost before they pass away, then we have that cash for ourselves to spend as we want.  

Respected Contributor

I have a menagerie, cats, dogs, birds.

I research my vets by NAME and check out their degrees, experience, reviews, and board certifications. 

I have learned that it is better to pay for the best vet possible so the diagnosis is accurate and the treatment plans are clear.

Then it is up to the owner to proceed with the hundreds or thousands in vet bills.

I do not buy pet insurance.

I have both a regular vet and access to two specialty vets.  I budget for my pet care the same as other household expenses,--house, car, food, etc.  My goal is never to penny pinch when my animals' health is at stake.

I have never used and will never use services in pet stores, whether they be vets or grooming--I have heard horror stories and I do not have enough trust in their expertise.

Honored Contributor

Do your research.  I know I wouldn't even take my dog there for a bath.