Respected Contributor

Anyone use lysine supplements for their cat?

One of my kitties has a chronic upper respiratory infection (thought to be a herpesvirus) since the time we got her as a kitten.  She is 13 years old now and is almost never without sneezing and nasal discharge.  We have to clean snot from walls, furniture and the floors constantly.  The breeder actually offered to take her back, but we couldn't do it!

Occasionally she actually acts sick, then she is given antibiotics.  She has been going through a stubborn patch lately.  Vet did a culture and sensitivity on her nasal discharge last week.  This was because she had been treated for a flare up and didn't seem much better.  She has lost some weight too.  All her blood work was good. 

The culture showed Pasteurella and we are going to try Clavamox for an extended period if she can tolerate it.

I had heard some time back that l lysine supplements are sometimes tried in cats with various herpesvirus issues.  Wondering if anyone has tried this and been successful.

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

Re: Anyone use lysine supplements for their cat?

Hi! I have used lysine for my cats and after a few days, the sneezing stopped and discharge cleared up.  My cats are 10 years old and had upper respiratory from day one and they were on Clavamox also.  this virus does come back so when they get a mild case my vet says to use lysine.  Vet has them in chews so cats eat them like treats.  I always consult my vet first and give to cats when sneezing is mild and discharge is clear.

I keep these on hands all the time. Give them a try!  Good luck and take good care of your baby.

Nancy from MA

Honored Contributor

Did you hear it from a Veterinarian ?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, for our cats with chronic viral issues, our veterinarian has given us both the supplements as well as the plain lysine powder to mix in their canned food -- it's the only thing that gave them a good quality of life.

Super Contributor

Yes I use lysine for my cat Mary.  I bought online from Dr Foster and Smith, The lysine is in powder form that I put in her food.   Mary is a little over 10 years old and has always had chronic respiratory issues.  The lysine has helped her.

Trusted Contributor

Check your brand of cat litter, too. Many of the clay-based litters cause respiratory irritation due to dust.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry about your fur baby.  Just wanted to add that a doctor of infectionus disease told a friend of mine that for fever blisters in humans can be totally controlled.  In humans the virus will reappear if the lysine is stopped.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've used the cat treat version for my one rescue that has it flare up occasionally. He was also dx as a kitten and on rx meds for it. Now I just use the lysine if it flares up. I do have to hide the treats extremely well though, because they've been known to break into the cabinets and use their claws to rip the bag open and eat them. I buy mine from the big A online store. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used L lysine for my cats for years. When we rescued Buddy he had the herpes virus and the vet suggested it. I have had Cookie on it daily for years as she caught the virus. I order it from Amazon. Its called Viralys and comes in a tube. Since she isn't ill I only give her a nice finertip size every morning but when sick with a cold I'd give it twice a day. She loves the taste and licks it off my finger every morning. It was a life saver for my Buddy who eventually passed away from a blood clot but he was a very ill kitty and had blood coming out of his nose when he sneezed.. I can't rave about this product enough. I hope your baby will be ok,please this this paste,its awesome.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Valued Contributor

shelters and rescues often put incoming cats on 500 mg lysine daily to prevent the flare ups of the herpes respiratory virus cats carry. It is very effective. Humans often take it for the same reason except that they get fever blisters and canker sores.