Esteemed Contributor

Anyone make their own Pet treats?

I was wondering if it is worth the time and if the furbabies will eat them...

I buy grain free for my Maltese and I would like to try any recipes that are recommended...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone make their own Pet treats?

@Nataliesgramma I have made homemade dog treats and they gobbled them up, I have a homemmade kitty recipe from Carolyn Gracie and Tina the Kitchen Aid Lady, but have not made them yet.

Honored Contributor

I used to make them always but since now there are so many healthy options I don't do it that much.  I made one with oatmeal, applesauce and crunchy peanutbutter that my dog loved.   I also made hamburger jerky that I gave away at Christmas to the neighborhood dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

The closest I've come to making treats is to thinly slice a quality pate food and bake the slices like cookies.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I made my own pet food after all of the issues with commercial food began.It was simple to do and I used all organic ingredients.I didn't make treats though.We didn't give treats other than a carrot,small piece of chicken or a little peanut butter.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I was wondering if it is worth the time and if the furbabies will eat them...

I buy grain free for my Maltese and I would like to try any recipes that are recommended...

@Nataliesgramma  I make my own filling for my beagles' kongs since beagles gain weight so easily. 

I soak their reg. kibble in hot water until somewhat softened. Then add a tablespoon of non-fat plain yogurt. Mix well. I stuff it in their kongs and freeze standing them up in a plastic cup. (I usually make 4 at a time). If I plan to give them one at night, I usually cut back some on their dinner portion. 

Honored Contributor

I think there are now enough healthy treats on the market that it is not necessary to make them from scratch.  I suppose if you have a lot of time on your hands and just enjoy baking it is fine.