Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have horses...I have a feed question..

My vets coming here Tuesday for vaccines.  I stopped at my feed supply today and got the nutrition labels off of the feed I'm looking into.  My vet and I will do a comparison on the feeds, and will better guide me if she thinks to make a switch.   Also, the grass is coming in, so I'll have to consider that too.

Teeth are good, and they are getting them done within the next couple months just for a check up or maintenance if needed.  I know for sure, they both lost weight when I changed their feed last summer, so its definitely the feed.

It's the Special Care, from Safe Choice Nutrena...obviously not good enough for them.  They still look good, but they dropped alot of weight and I dont want them to lose anymore...my farrier also agreed, they should look a little more rounded as they have always been.   Too much weight loss, too fast, with that feed.

Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

Have you seen this thread?

Thought maybe you could give advice.

🐴

@sidsmom 

I haven't worked with horses in quite some time, but I am pretty sure the ones I worked with were on a different diet than that necessary for the OP's horses. 

I would go with my veterinarian's recommendation!

Respected Contributor

Just wanted to report back...my vet was here last Tuesday...we compared nutrients and and analysis, and she felt best choice is to go with Nutrena Special Care, in Senior.  She told me go slow on the transition , which is no problem since I have 3 bags of feed left...handful added 2x day and gradually increase over time.  I've done this before , so not a problem.   Thanks for the feedback here!