Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have a solution to kneading cats?

I rescued two kittens last year.  I have a duvet on my bed now but I have 3 or 4 new sets I would like to put on but I fear they will ruin them with their kneading.  Now with Fall approaching I really want to do my bed pretty.  Does anyone have any solutions?  I can't lock them out because one of them has always called that room home 

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have a solution to kneading cats?

Stopping the kneading would be impossible.  Cats just do it.  I had heard it mimicks the motion they used when they nursed from their mother.  I gives them comfort. 

You can give up on using good bedding, lock them out of the bedroom, or find an old comforter to cover your good stuff when they're on the bed.  I do that for my dog so that she doesn't suck on my bedding.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I have no solution to the kneading but with 3 kitties of my own I know what you mean about the results.

I would suggest taking a blanket, throw, duvet or or something similar, fold it in half or in a third and run it along the foot of the bed, over your comforter (think of the fabric strip hotels now use in place of a full bedspread)

The kitties should gravite to it - you know how cats are about parking in the softest place!

Sometimes when I'm lying down and become the kitty mattress they knead on my tummy. If it makes them happy, it makes me happy.

Honored Contributor

Uh........it's a whole lot better than what some dogs do...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

If you're referencing what I THINK you are, I had a neutered male cat that did that...first time, I was like what?????  LOL

OP, I don't have the definitive solution, but mine really preferred soft, plushy type throws that I called "mama blankets" (like this one).  Perhaps one thrown on your bed as suggested above?

CIMG0061.JPG

Denise
Valued Contributor

I second the fuzzy kitty blanket solution.  I keep kitty's at the foot of the bed and come bed time she automatically settles in on her blanket, after proper belly rubs, of course!

Honored Contributor

OP, are their nails clipped ? 

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

If you're referencing what I THINK you are, I had a neutered male cat that did that...first time, I was like what?????  LOL

OP, I don't have the definitive solution, but mine really preferred soft, plushy type throws that I called "mama blankets" (like this one).  Perhaps one thrown on your bed as suggested above?

CIMG0061.JPG

>^..^<......mmmmrrrrrOW.......YOW......eeeeee!    This is Kitty again, and I just saw your picture........and I'm in love with you!!!!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Kneading is to cats what breathing is to you.   You can't stop it.  

Honored Contributor

We had a neighbor years ago who wanted to get rid of her Siamese cat.  I believe the cat was taken from it's mother too soon as she wanted to suckle fingers and do the whammy (what my family called what you describe as kneading).  We took the cat and she lived a very long life and never stopped the suckling or the whammy.

I would probably do as others suggested and get a fleece top blanket to cover whatever you want to protect.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise