Trusted Contributor

Anyone have a problem with Hills Prescription dog food?

I just got some Metabolic prescription dry dog food from my vet who is putting my 2 dogs on a diet. It is expensive, so I was looking on the internet for other places that sell it. I came across a consumer site that showed 171 people dissatisfied with Hills prescription dog food. It actually made many of them sick. Now I don't know if I want to continue on the plan or buy a different diet food. It is around $40 for a 6lb bag. The vets must get a huge discount for selling this product.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have a problem with Hills Prescription dog food?

I have had a number of senior dogs and used the cardiac, kidney, and allergy-prone of Hills.  I had very good results.  Given its price I wonder if you really need it just for weight loss.  Maybe less food and more walks?

Occasional Contributor

my dog who is 12 was very sick with stomach problems our vet put her on presription dog food (hills) she is doing very well my vet sells it for so much cheaper then the store.

Honored Contributor

It's the only food that helped to straighten and keeps my little girl's tummy doing the right thing. It is expensive, and we mix in now other canned dog food, but she can't go totally on another food. Touch tummy. It saved us all a huge headache.

Esteemed Contributor

My 9 yr old Maltese/Shi tzu is on it and I have had no issues. The Vet recommended Senior 7+.

We tried another brand and she wouldn't eat it.

It is cheaper than taking her to the Vet because she got that watery diharea and would need fluids.....

Respected Contributor

I don't know if your pups have any conditions that woud require PRESCRIPTION food for weight loss, but if they are healthy and you are just unsure how much to feed them,  Call the Vet let them know what food you have them on and ask them for a feeding amount.  measure out the total days portion into a container and then feed them ONLY from that amount.  you can split it up into several feedings throughout the day if you think that will keep them less hungry.  Also use portions from that container as their treats for the day.  Extra food is extra calories.  Training sessions count as exercize.  Putting your pups through their paces on leash will stimulate them mentally as well as physically.  I think of Prescription diet as "Hospital Food"  Limitation diet for a medical problem.  Unless your puppies need monitored weight loss, you have options.

Honored Contributor

There's no need to put your dog on a prescription food if it's only for weight loss.  Just feed less food and exercise more.  Maybe take your dog on a little longer walk each day.  Less food and more exercise is the answer.  I would continue whatever food you're using now unless it isn't a high quality food.  If it isn't I would switch to one that is and not to a prescription diet.

My dog gained a couple of lbs. without me realizing it, and my Vet told me to reduce her food.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

It seems the vets push hard to sell this food. We fell for the hype and put our two mini schnauzers on it years ago and would never use it again. Our little guy had nothing but problems and we lost him too young. We now use Natural Balance and have since we got our new dogs eight years ago. They are both extremely healthy. Every dog that comes here dives into their food bowl. LOL I've had friends switch their dogs to this brand. It's not as inexpensive as some dog foods are, but it's so good for our fur babies.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Exactly what makes this a prescription food?  Looking at the ingredient list 5 of the top 6 items are fillers.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The prescription dog food ,all of them are low quality food ,i just saw a post from facebook on this .Look at HEALTHY PETS MERCOLA.COM Dr. karen becker.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.