Respected Contributor

Anyone else have a dog ALLERGIC to Poultry?

If so, what are you feeding?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone else have a dog ALLERGIC to Poultry?

My dog is allergic to poultry, beef and pork. I feed her purina pro plan sensitive skin salmon and rice. 

Respected Contributor

Yes!  My dog is allergic to chicken and beef.  This eliminates most dog foods.  My dog can eat duck and rabbit, though, so I feed him Primal Freeze-dried Nuggets - Duck Formula, along with organic quinoa and organic kale that i cook for him myself. Two thirds of what I feed him, I could eat, too!  My vet recently discovered V-Dog dog food which is vegetarian, and she recommends it. I think I may try it just to have extra dog food on hand, as I can only store so much frozen food in my freezer.  V-Dog can only be purchased online at V-dog's website, on Amazon (which is more expensive) or at limited stores, none of which are local to me. 

Regular Contributor

I had the same problem Four years ago my vet told me to feed him Blue. It can only be found at pet stores but I love chewey.com , free overnight delivery and less than the petstores. He has been on Blue for 4 years and he is a diffrent furbaby.

Check out chewy.com Type in Blue in the search bar. His treats wet and dry food are all this brand. I know it's more than grocery store food but sure cheaper than vet bills.

Good Luck

Respected Contributor

Apparently this is very common, especially in dogs that eat dog foods containing grain.

When I got my 1st dog ever a few years ago the vet and the breeder both recommended a grain free diet and to avoid chicken and beef.

!!??!!!?

Honored Contributor

Both of my dogs get tummy upsets from chicken.  I feed them Orijen Six Fish.

Respected Contributor

My West Highland Terrier was allergic to poultry and I fed her Iames Lamb and Rice.  At the time that was the only food I could find that did not contain chicken and she loved it.

My current dog absolutely loves chicken and we boil chicken breast for him and that is his treat!

Super Contributor

My Bichon will be 11 years old and has the energy of a puppy. Most people are shocked when I tell them his age. Early on, he exhibited an allergy to chicken. Lots of scratching. I decided to keep him off chicken, beef, and grain. Since I rescued him almost 3 years ago, I've been feeding him Blue Basics grain-free Duck and Potato dry kibble, mixed with Blue Basics moist food in small tubs (rotate lamb, turkey, and salmon), mixed with diced green beans and mashed carrot, and a couple teaspoons of hot water to make a gravy. Mid-day, he gets a small Peanut Butter and Pumpkin biscuit (Halo brand) and sometimes in the evening he gets a small piece of apple. He loves his food.

Super Contributor

My DDB was allergic to just about everything, so I fed her Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein dry and canned food. It requires a prescription from the vet.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. Chloe can't have chicken. It makes her itch and her stools are yellow and mooshy. She eats Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and stomach. It works great. It is salmon and rice. No chicken or chicken fat of any kind. Price isn't cheep but it isn't expensive either.