Contributor

Anyone been a puppy raiser for Canine Companion for Independence?

Has anyone had any experience working or donating time or money to the Canine Campanion for Independence organization?

Today on TV ,  a puppy raiser was interviewed.  It peaked my interest because I love dogs, and it would be such a joy to help someone out. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone been a puppy raiser for Canine Companion for Independence?

I have not thought of them in many years; but, when my cousin passed away, he left them quite a large donation.  At that time, I had never heard of them, but I really was impressed with the work that they did.  It was my pleasure to meet with them when I delivered the check.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it asks for personal information.

Trusted Contributor

@2Doods:  I posted that I am a longtime volunteer for CCI (since 1993) but it was removed because I asked if we could possibly get in touch with one another.  Since that didn't work, I would suggest you go online for CCI and call your Region's number.  They will explain to you what is involved in puppyraising and take your info if you want to follow through.  I work with people who have raised dozens of pups through the years.  In fact, a graduation ceremony is next Friday in all of the different regions.  It is very touching and emotional to see people go up on stage to be presented with their service dogs.  We always suggest people bring loads of tissues to the graduation ceremonies because a lot of tears are shed (happy tears).  Yes, it's hard to raise a pup and then give it up, but the joy and gift is to the person with a physical challenge who is matched with that dog and will now have his or her life changed forever.  Please let me know if you need any other information.  

Contributor

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.  We have two dogs.  Oliver is 12 and is a therapy dog.  Eddie is 3 and hopefully will fill Oliver's therapy dog shoes.

When our older dog turned 12, I started to think what am I going to do when Ollie leaves us. We always have had two dogs.  Then I was watching how a person worked on this TV show and brought a CCI puppy with her to work for the last year.  This one year old dog was now ready to go to what they called "Doggie College".

I was so excited to think being a puppy raiser might be just the thing to fill the gap when our sweet Oliver leaves us.  

I'm already a volunteer tester for Alliance of Therapy Dogs so I know what a difference a dog can make.

Thanks for everyone's input!