Esteemed Contributor

Anyone Here Have Experience With Savannahs?

I am thinking of possibly adopting an F4 Savannah kitten around Christmas time.

I have had cats for my whole life, but never a Savannah.

What has your experience been?

Doing my research, I know that they are friendly, loyal, jumpers, love to get up high, love to play in water.

Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated.

This will probably be the last kitten that I would get, as I read that they can live 20 years.

Thank you in advance!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Here Have Experience With Savannahs?

[ Edited ]
Savannah Cat Breed
Size
Large weighing 12 to 25 pounds
Coat
Short, slightly coarse
Color
Black, brown spotted tabby, black silver spotted tabby, black smoke

The Savannah Cat’s personality is playful, adventurous and loyal. Unlike most cats, she loves to play in water and can even be trained to walk on a leash and play fetch. Don’t be fooled by her dog-like personality, though.

Temperament 

Savannah Cats have strong hunting instincts, so they aren’t always suitable for households with pets like fish, hamsters, and birds. Her temperament is mild, though, so she’s a great companion to other cats and dogs, children and other humans in her home with proper socialization as a kitten.

Lifespan 

12 to 20 years

Colors 

If you want an exotic-looking cat, the Savannah is a beautiful choice. Resembling their African Serval ancestors, Savannahs are typically black, brown or silver tabbies with black or dark brown spots. Some may have lighter colors or a smoked pattern, however.

Characteristics 

Although later generations of the breed are similar in weight to other breeds, they appear larger due to their height. Savannah Cats are characterized by their long, slender necks, triangular heads and large, wide ears that sit on top of their heads. They also have longer-than-average legs.

History

The Savannah Cat breed is a crossbreed of a domestic cat with an African Serval. The first kitten, named “Savannah”, was born on April 7, 1986 and the first generation possessed traits of both domestic cats and African Servals. They had the Serval’s size but the tameness of a domestic cat. In 2012, The International Cat Association (TICA) accepted the Savannah Cat as an official breed.

Facts 
  • The Savannah Cat’s back legs are slightly longer than her front legs.
  • It takes approximately 3 years for her to fully mature and reach adult size.
  • Savannahs are excellent jumpers. They can jump up to 8 feet horizontally and climb easily.
  • They are banned in several states, including Hawaii, Massachusetts and Georgia because of their “hybrid” status.
  • A first-generation Savannah Cat can cost more than $20,000. The cost for later generations is much lower, but can still top $1,000.
Shedding 

Savannah Cats are a lower-shedding breed, and so they require less grooming than long-haired breeds. Because of their playful nature, however, they may get into a mess and need a bath. Fortunately, they love water!

Health 

Savannah Cats are a healthy breed, with no known genetic conditions or other health problems. They are at risk of suffering from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (thickening heart muscle) but are no more prone to heart problems than other cross-breeds. Responsible breeders screen for conditions that could negatively affect the breed.

Savannah cats are a DESIGNER HYBRID, meaning they are 2 breeds who would  not naturally breed together, in the wild.

I'm just not into a breed of animal orchestrated to breed with a different breed animal  that they would not naturally breed with, just to create a 'novelty' animal.

That's just not me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom ITA with you! I've railed for years about hybrid animals, both cats and dogs.

There is NO reason for it except to satisfy some (fill in the blank)'s need to experiment. You couldn't give me a hybrid cat or dog.

Adopt don't shop has always been my motto.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

I SO agree!

To me, people who choose to buy these unnatural hybrids (Justin Bieber has 2) among other celebs, it's just a status symbol, an ego thing,  not the love of a pet.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Not a Savannah, but I did have an F2 Bengal cat for many years.  Realize that the closer to the original hybrid (the lower the F number) the more of the wild characteristics they may maintain. 

Hadji was a good cat and had the most silky fur you would ever feel but he also had his problematic side.  He was a one person cat which meant NOBODY could pet him but me.  When I took him to be "fixed" the vet's office let me go back to get him to take home.  They never let owners in the back.  After that, he nevre wanted to be picked up again, so any vet visit was a major stress.  

On the other hand, my Queso who was born in a rescue situation, after he became geriatric, also doesn't want to be picked up.  So, there's that. He loves for me to pet him and especially do his ear, but he wants nothing to do with being picked up.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess

Thank you for providing insight into another hybrid breed,

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 Know nothing about the Savannah but sure is a handsome looking cat.

Savannah cat - Wikipedia

Honored Contributor

I am so against designer dogs, they just breed for the money, my grip is golden doodles, and lab adoodles, just burns me up that people do this,and people buy them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Not a Savannah, but two bengal cats (Asian Leopard Cat and domestic) - an F3 and purebred.  I often referred to Millie, the purebred as "royalty" as our breeder bought Millie from Jean Mills' cattery, Millwood.  Jean is generally creditted with furthering the Bengal breed in the US.  Millie developed pyometra with her last litter and breeder offered her to be a companion to Rocko, the F3 after her spay.

Loyal & bond strongly to their humans?  YES.  Friendly?  Without a doubt.  Rocko would greet strangers at the door and I swear he'd be saying "Hi!  I'm Rocko, what's your name?  I like everyone!"

The only issue we had with Rocko was inability to properly digest commercial cat food.  After umpteen visits to the vet, specialized food, drugs, everyday carpet cleaning, nothing improved.  We finally asked the vet to put him down as he was not thriving.  Vet refused, said they would keep Rocko free of charge for a few days and suggested we do some research.

Thank goodness for the Internet!  Found catnutrition.org which gave the recipe for a raw diet.  Now there are commercial raw diets, back then we made it ouselves. Within 24 hrs he had his 1st solid stool (DH wanted to have it bronzed).  Cat Tongue

I doubt you'll have that problem, but keep it in mind.

DH & I miss those cats every day.  Millie passed of kidney disease, Rocko of heart issue.  Most loving, entertaining cats ever.

cimg0152.jpg

Denise
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a F3 Bengal (very similar to Savannahs) until last year when he passed to the Rainbow Bridge sadly Smiley Sad

Edited to add he was 'free' when I got him, so technically a rescue. (besides I'm not turning away a kitty that was in desperate need for a new home just because he had the misfortune of being born as a breed some people find objectionable-sheesh!) The original owner paid thousands for him. However his vet bills added up quickly to get him up to speed with vaccinations, etc. since he had not been to see a vet in over 5 years!

He came from a home where he wasn't necessary mistreated, but more HIGHLY neglected!!!!  He came from the best breeder in CA and was fixed, but than didn't see a vet for 5 years till I got him.  He had issues with food due to his history, and after trying tons of different things including a raw diet, realized he was healthiest on the Friskies I was feeding my other kitties!  So the 'best' isn't always the best(in his case)!  He threw up all the other food. Friskies-perfectly fine! 

I digress...all I can say from my personal experience with him was he was the most loving, loyal friend I could have ever had! He even was besties with 2 of my other kitties. 2 others tolerated him, but they never got into big fights. He went from being super scared to wanting to be in my lap or right next to me 24/7.  He followed me around like a puppy!  He would also fly around the room, and at one point was jumping from the floor to the top of door frames and tall furniture pieces like Superman, but he was ALL muscle and super long when all stretched out! So make sure to not have anything super valuable or breakable, even up high! I also had to physically lock doors I didn't want him in (that maybe had breakable items I didn't want him getting to unsupervised).  He knew how to open closed doors with his paws turning the door handles!

Discussions abound about whether Bengals and Savannahs are 'legal' or 'wild' or the right thing to have.  My guy was brought into this world through no fault of his own and I gave him the best life possible once I 'found' him!  I would do it again in a heartbeat!!