Honored Contributor

My almost 10 year-old dog tore his ACL back in October.  After a discussion with his vet, I elected to see if he would heal up on his own, rather than going the surgical route.

He will be visiting my CA son, DIL and grandson for Christmas.  While we are there we do a lot of walking, so I am considering purchasing a doggie stroller.  

If you have one, please tell me the make and anything that might help me narrow down a decision.  He’s a big Havanese, weighing in at 19 pounds.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Have a Dog Stroller?

I have one, but my Poms aren't as big as your dog.  It wasn't expensive, but it does the job.  Both dogs fit in it.  One is 10# and the other is 6#.  We go for a walk most days, unless it's too cold outside.  I've had it about 18 months and it still looks new.  I can't remember the brand, but I got it from Amazon for $39.   My dogs like it and they sit there like princesses in a parade.   It has 3 wheels, and a place on the bottom to carry stuff, a water bottle holder, and the top zips up. 

If your dog is active you might need something more sturdy. 

Valued Contributor

I have one I got off an auction place. It is put up right now so I don't know the name. It has 4 wheels & I really like it but we take it too the park & farmers market.  I have seen some others there who have one that is 3 wheels & a lot heavier made. It also folds up real fast & easy. Which mine doesn't so I wish I had that one!  But I paid $7. for mine brand new & I think theirs was probably real expensive!  I can't aford an expensive one. But very happy with this one. I have a Havenese boy, that is 6. For some reason he tires out after walking very far so he loves to ride in it after we have been walking awhile. Fits in the back of my car just fine. I orginally got it for our little rescue girl who is around 8 or 9 who had a partially torn CCL. I also chose not to do surgery. That was a little over a year ago & she is doing just fine. Runs everywhere & does not limp or anything. So glad I chose to not to do surgery on her. Good luck with your baby.  We did put her on Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus MSM chewable tablets. They seemed to help her a lot. I have continued keeping her on them & we watched her real close for several months. No jumping or anything. Which was really hard cause she is a runner! But she came thru it just fine!  We also put her on a supplement by American Biosciences called DGP.  I get both from amazon. Not sure where else you might could get them. Good luck on with your baby. Oh my boy is 15 nearly 16 lbs. and he fits it just fine. And they both love the stroller. It has a hook in the back of the seat you attach to their harness & they can't just jump out. And mine also has a place to store packages, or you purse. dog treats, whatever & 2 cup holders on the top. Very nice for going to farmers market every Saturday for us!  IMG_0934.JPG

Valued Contributor

Oh mine also has a net/screen that goes over the opening in the front so you can close them in!  He doesn't seem to mind the "deep pink color"!  LOL  hey it was $7. you can't be chosey at that price!  Sorry that the picture seemed to come out big!  First time I ever tried that!

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I have one, but my Poms aren't as big as your dog.  It wasn't expensive, but it does the job.  Both dogs fit in it.  One is 10# and the other is 6#.  We go for a walk most days, unless it's too cold outside.  I've had it about 18 months and it still looks new.  I can't remember the brand, but I got it from Amazon for $39.   My dogs like it and they sit there like princesses in a parade.   It has 3 wheels, and a place on the bottom to carry stuff, a water bottle holder, and the top zips up. 

If your dog is active you might need something more sturdy. 

Thanks, @Scooby Doo.  He never liked to be carried before this injury or helped up and down from the furniture but likes it now, so I think he would learn to appreciate riding around town in a stroller.  He’s too heavy and I’m too klutzy to carry him for long.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lovemyboots wrote:

Oh mine also has a net/screen that goes over the opening in the front so you can close them in!  He doesn't seem to mind the "deep pink color"!  LOL  hey it was $7. you can't be chosey at that price!  Sorry that the picture seemed to come out big!  First time I ever tried that!

What a great deal you got, @Lovemyboots!  I think the fourth wheel would make the stroller more comfortable but I do want it to fold up easily.  

Thanks for the picSmiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Have a stroller and have used it through 4 dogs.  they have averaged from my current Charlotte at 7.5 lb to Wyatt who was about 15lb. they all adjusted to it easily. mine has the screen that zips over front and another in the back. solid top for sunshade. all of my dogs have been fine with it because they can see me and yet they are comfortable. Charlotte goes to the salon with me when getting my hair cut or colored and sits quietly and either sleeps or watches. it folds easily and quickly and I keep it in the back of my SUV most of the time for convenience, similar to mothers who carry a stroller for their human baby. stroller holds up well, has a lock on the wheels and is very convenient with a tray for a drink and keys and phone on top.

Respected Contributor

I have a 4 wheel stroller, I believe the name is BEST PET. Got on Amazon for $44. Its fantastic! The wheels glide over bumps, has a padded handle to push with, mesh, and zippers to open or close, or just zip halfway. Tray on padded handle bar, and basket underneath. My Maltese jumped out first time, so now I look her her leash through and I hold onto it on the handle. She likes going for a tour now😁. Got it because shes 14 and has a little trouble on her back leg. Now I can take long walks with her. Oh, it even came with fleece pad for her to sit on. So glad I got it. Mine is red.
Honored Contributor

Oh @tansy bless you.  I so hope the stroller works out and that your Havanese (what a wonderful breed!) will be on the mend and gets to fully enjoy his visit.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
I have a 4 wheel stroller, I believe the name is BEST PET. Got on Amazon for $44. Its fantastic! The wheels glide over bumps, has a padded handle to push with, mesh, and zippers to open or close, or just zip halfway. Tray on padded handle bar, and basket underneath. My Maltese jumped out first time, so now I look her her leash through and I hold onto it on the handle. She likes going for a tour now😁. Got it because shes 14 and has a little trouble on her back leg. Now I can take long walks with her. Oh, it even came with fleece pad for her to sit on. So glad I got it. Mine is red.

Thanks for the detailed answer, @Dazlin.  At this point my dog realizes that he makes mom and dad unhappy when he jumps so I expect he’ll stay put but I like the added security of a restraint.

I will look at that brand🙂