Respected Contributor

Anyone Have Experience with Kennel Cough?

I adopted a tiny pom from the shelter 2 weeks ago.  She became ill the next day and there's been no improvement.  She coughs and hacks constantly and keeps me awake at night.  I feel so bad for her, but I don't know what else to do and her medication doesn't seem to work.  The vet gave her a shot and some cough medicine the first week.  I took her back to the shelter the second week and was given doxycyclene.  Nothing is working and she's not improving.  From what I've read, this can last from 2 weeks to a month.  Have any of you had a case that lasted for a long time?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Have Experience with Kennel Cough?

When we got our Basset Hound 12 years ago, she had kennel cough.  The pet store paid for the treatment.  If I remember correctly it was three or four months of meds.  I don't remember what the meds were though.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I don't have any experience with it, but I hope your poochy recovers soon.  Once she's better, be sure to get her a Bordetella vaccine and always keep up with it on schedule.  If you ever have to board her, make sure the kennel requires all "guests" to be up to date on their Bordetella vaccine too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago we had a Samoyed that was kenneled at the vet's place while we went on vacation.  When I came back to pick him up 2 weeks later and took him home, I noticed that he was coughing so much that he couldn't eat.  I called the vet's office and asked them why my dog was so sick.

They said he had been coughing for about a week and they had an outbreak of kennel cough in their kennels.  I was mad as Hello.  My dog was up to date on all of his immunizations and he got it anyway and the vet did nothing to help my dog while he was in their care.  They never even called me. They just sent him home sick.

The vet prescribed medication and in a few days there was an improvement.  In about a week, my dog was almost back to normal.

I have never used that vet again and I will never kennel any dog anywhere with anyone.  My dogs always go on vacation with me, or I have a family member stay at my house while I am gone.

Spoiler

Esteemed Contributor

It was years ago, but all that I remember was that my Lab/Pit who is no longer with us was given antibiotics, and over the counter cough medicine. One of the Robitussin ones. I can't remember which one. It lasted about two weeks as I remember. It was awful sounding.

Honored Contributor

Usually dogs are not routinely given the Bordetella immunization; you have to ask for it.  If your dog is going to be around other dogs anywhere, it should have the shot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago our two dogs got out of the yard and wound up at the animal shelter. When we brought them home they began to hack and cough. I took them to the vet, and he explained it was kennel cough. We were given two different kinds of pills, and we had to get a second set of pills before it cleared. It left almost as suddenly as it began.

Especially since this is a tiny dog, let your vet prescribe treatment. I would not give additional meds from anywhere else. Contact your vet and ask if your dog should be improved by now. As best I remember our dogs were sick about 3 weeks. 

Respected Contributor

The shelter had given her the first set of vaccinations which included bordetella.  I'm wondering if that's what helped to make her sick, along with being in a shelter.  Kennel cough runs rampant and is highly contagious.  She's supposed to go back tomorrow and get her second set of shots along with rabies, but I'm waiting until she's feeling better.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Scooby - Congrats on your new family member!  I had my pom for 15 years and from the time I brought him home he had a hacking cough.  Originally, they thought he had kennel cough, but further testing revealed he had a collapsing trachea (which the vet said is very common with this breed, although none of my prior Poms had this issue).  Follow your vets instructions, but you may want to inquire if this could be the issue.  Initially, I had to give him childrens benadryl when he would cough but as he got older the cough got worse.  Nothing worked (including breathing treatments) and he ended up on RX cough syrup.  Fortunately, he liked it and would take it right from the spoon.  Hope your little fur baby gets better soon and y'all have a lifetime of joy.  Poms are wonderful!  

Honored Contributor

You can boost her immune system with the following all-natural supplements, in powder or liquid form:

* Forti-Flora (a pre/probiotic blend that also helps her G.I. system)

* Pet Naturals of Vermont Immune Support

* Missing Link Well Blend

Check out the 'pawesome' reviews (& prices) at Amazon. Cat Happy