Esteemed Contributor

Anyone Do Feral Cat Rescues?

I am part of a group that feeds a cat colony at our local state park.  We have about 9 cats, each with its own feeding station.  One of the cats has some type of eye injury and we are trying to catch him so that we can take him to the vet.  He is either in the tree or in a wheel that looks like it was part of a grist mill at some point.  Anyone have ideas on how to catch him?  I am the only one who sees him consistently and I sit with him while he eats, because some of the other cats have bullied him.  I also have a special name for him so that he knows that it is me.  Unfortunately, he still will not let me near him.  Several of us are going to try to get him over the weekend, but I could sure use some helpful pointers, if anyone has any.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Do Feral Cat Rescues?

Use an animal cage trap.  Put food and water inside, but you will need to check it several times a day.  Place under a shady tree.  

This is what we do in our neigborhood, then they are neutered and released.  

Respected Contributor

I used a trap to catch the feral cats in my neighborhood to have them neutered.  If you have a rescue organization in your city you can get one there.  They will usually loan them to you.  Then you can take the cat to your Vet and return the trap to the rescue.  Thank you for doing what you do.  You are truly a hero.

Esteemed Contributor

We have thought of a trap, but that would require someone staying there the entire time.  One of the problems that we have run into is that some of the homeless have actually taken the dishes out of the cats' houses and slept in them and also eaten their food.  Part of the parking lot adjacent to the state park land is a deli and there has been some drug activity.  It just doesn't seem to be too safe at night.  I do imagine that a trap will need to be set, but a few years ago, when I was feeding a stray at my home, I gave him some type of meds to calm him down.  I now use a different vet and do not know her well enough to ask for something like that.  Also, we would still have to keep track of this feral cat, and he likes to hide.  We may need to contact one of the cat rescue organizations for help.  Thanks for your replies.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

I have some experience.

What state?  Look up local rescue sites.

Do you have access to animal loving police officers, veterinarians, Vet techs,  or  other guys who might be willing to sit quietly overnight with you?  ASPCA?

Cage needs to be covered in blanket, or tarp to make it less scary.

As he knows you, you are his best chance.  Use smelly food.  

Someone with experience might be able to butterfly net him, but it will take @ 3 people to walk quietly to close down his running room.

Thanks for helping, and Best Wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe  Thanks for the info.  There are several hurdles trying to get him (or her).  There is fencing and private yards all around, and the wheel is huge.  Next to it is a garage with a sloped roof.  I am planning to sit out with our organizer on Sunday and Monday to see if we can catch him, but it appears that I am the only one who sees him every week.  Normally, I only feed on Wednesdays, but I will be there the rest of the week with some chicken to try and lure him into a carrier that I have in my car.  

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

All good wishes to you and the kitty!!!

Just me, I’d use something smellier than chicken.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl -

That is what I did to catch a cat-put tuna fish in my cat carrier and she slowly couldn't resist after several trys. She had seen me before but would run if I came too close.

Finally she went in and I closed the door.(This took several days).

I had already called a cat rescue who came to the vets I took her too. 

It turned out she had a chip but had run away, miles away. They didn't return her to that owner.

I was so happy I could get her to a safe place.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I take care of ferals also.  Unfortunately I don't think there's a lot you can do.  If you set a trap you're likely to catch other cats and not the one you want if there's a colony.  If you do catch the cat and take it to the vet, you will most likely have to put some sort of drops in the eye for a few days and you know that won't be realistic.  I've had two cats that had eye injuries, but I couldn't get them to the vet.  Thankfully the eyes healed in about a week by themselves.   It is heartbreaking.  

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay @Drythe  I have Italian tuna in olive oil and my cats love it.  I think that is what I will take with me for the next couple of days.  I have a soft carrier with a drop in from the top and I hope that works.