Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody give fluids to your cat at home? Subcutaneously

two people... wrap cat in a big fluffy towel... and do whatever needs to be done.

Honored Contributor

I opted not to do this for one of my cats because it was too stressful.  My vet agreed 100 percent.  The cat was old and I didn't want him to live his last months like this.

I have never regretted it.  It all depended on how the cat reacted to it--and I would do the same thing again for that cat.

Respected Contributor

Years ago my elderly cat had to get fluids every few weeks but I took her to the vet.  There is no way I would have been able to do it at home.  She lived to be 19. 

Super Contributor

You've gotten excellent advice on this topic. I've had to give sub-q fluids to 2 of my kitties - both for kidney failure. They have suggested it for my current kitty George but I'm putting it off as long as possible. The 2 kitties I've given it to were thankfully both very mellow. I didn't have any help and we did OK. I put a towel on the kitchen table and hung the fluid bag from the light fixture over the table. I was very scared and hesitant to do it but it makes them feel so much better and lengthens their lives. It is the closest that kitties have to dialysis. You CAN do it. I know this because I did it. Both of the kitties I gave fluids to lived for another couple of years. It was well worth it! Good luck to you and your kitty.

Respected Contributor

All I can add is learn the principle of making the "tent" so the  needle goes into the space between the pelt and the deeper tissues. IOW, you're not injecting into the skin so much as in the space between the outer skin and what it's covering. Hopefully the YouTube videos will go over this.

Also, never, ever microwave the Ringers or whatever you're using. I used to tuck the bag into my clothing, next to my upper underwear, to warm it to my body temp for a good hour before I started the subQ. I did the injections most successfully in the bathroom, where the light was good and I could station the drip trolley where I needed it.  (It's really handy to have the real thing, since it's at the right height and designed for the purpose. I had one from when I was on long-term drip meds and had a PICC line.) When I was doing subQs on the cat, I lined the sink with a towel so it wasn't cold and put the cat in the sink. That helped to keep the cat in place. Many of them love being in the sink anyway.

If I knew I'd have to make repeated injections in a short period of time or the cat was getting them daily, I'd map out a pattern that  ran from higher to lower, left side and right.That meant that I wasn't losing liquids from a lower prior injection site later in the day.

I also talked to the cat while I was doing it. I told her that this would help her feel better, that it's like getting a drink without all the work. Above all, keep your cool and maintain control over the cat so he's not bounding away while you're doing it and injuring himself.

Last thing, do not hesitate to call the vet and tell them you need another lesson if you're still having problems after watching videos and practicing on something inanimate. The important thing is to get your kitteh irrigated. Best of luck!

Respected Contributor

I have done it many times.  I am an RN, so I am used to setting up the fluids and using needles.  However, inserting a needle into a cat does NOT have the same feel as a human.  Pinch up the skin and do a swift insertion into the tissue.  I find this a 2 person job.  One to restrain or distract the kitty, the other to work on it.  Pet and praise the kitty.

If you find it stops running or is running slowly, you can make minute adjustments of the placement of the needle.  Sometimes it is the position of the kitty.  There WILL be a lump of fluid that will absorb over time.  If your kitty is thin, it's a bit more challenging.

If you really feel unsure, perhaps you can do it the first time in the vet's office while they watch.  Your cat will FEEL better from this also.  Kind of like a dialysis treatment.  It will feel somewhat cool under the skin, as it is only room temp.

I've done it on several cats.  I do find it not just life prolonging but something where they feel better too.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandkidsrgreat wrote:

You've gotten excellent advice on this topic. I've had to give sub-q fluids to 2 of my kitties - both for kidney failure. They have suggested it for my current kitty George but I'm putting it off as long as possible. The 2 kitties I've given it to were thankfully both very mellow. I didn't have any help and we did OK. I put a towel on the kitchen table and hung the fluid bag from the light fixture over the table. I was very scared and hesitant to do it but it makes them feel so much better and lengthens their lives. It is the closest that kitties have to dialysis. You CAN do it. I know this because I did it. Both of the kitties I gave fluids to lived for another couple of years. It was well worth it! Good luck to you and your kitty.

@grandkidsrgreat 

I would re-think putting it off.  The sooner you start, the better for George.  Letting the kidney disease progress is not the best thing you can do.  He will feel better sooner and  you are treating the illness at a less severe stage.

Hyacinth