Esteemed Contributor

Anybody give fluids to your cat at home? Subcutaneously

After giving me lessons, my vet sent me home with fluid bags, needles, and IV tubes for administering to my cat. It's crazy hard because my cat, or course, will not be still with me like he does in the vet office. Any advice? Has anyone else been successful with doing this at home?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anybody give fluids to your cat at home? Subcutaneously

We have never had to give fluids to our kitty who is now l7 yrs. old.   But it is almost impossible just to get a pill down him when it has been necessary over the years! 

So hope your kitty will be well soon!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done this a lot of times--and you can, too.  Your kitty will feel so much better and know you're taking care of him!

First, watch some videos on YouTube for tips. It's a great start. Remember: he can feel your lack of confidence...show him that you've got this!

I recommend you finding a good spot that allows for for the following:

- A box or container lined with a blanket of towel that will keep your kitty snugly in the right position. This is key! A squirming kitty on a counter or similar slippery surface will make you and your Kitty uncomfortable. Some people use the bottom of a carrier, but this has the vet smell on it...it can work if you drape a towel over it to block the smell. Look for something in your home that keeps him snug but is open on top so he doesn't feel trapped.

- A nearby place to hang the IV bag so gravity does its work for you. We keep ours hanging from a hanger on a closet door

- Have treats nearby to reward your kitty.

- If you're nervous about the sticking part, handle the needle when you're not doing it and practice the motion "in the air." You'll feel more at ease just handling it without your kitty present.

- Practice with a rolled up towel playing your kitty. Do the whole procedure short of opening the IV....set up the box. Hang the bag, practice in uncapping the needle, practice good the kitty, then the stick, etc. Sounds crazy, but it allowed me to work out logistics without my cats first in order to build confidence so I didn't feel as tentative during the real thing.

- Comfort and per your kitty throughout.

- Don't panic! If you can't do it, ask if you can take your kitty to the vet and have a vet tech supervise you doing it.  

You WILL be able to master this....give yourself a chance.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave it to one of my dogs.  Probably, a lot easier than cats.

My main issue was pain caused by the needle, so I used a 20 gauge rather than the 16 gauge given to me by the vet.  She kept trying to run away when I used the 16 gauge.

Animals can sense our fear and anxiety, so try to stay as relaxed as you can. 

I watched Youtube videos first to learn the proper way to do it.  

Super Contributor

my sweet boy was fine with it: I hung the 'bottle' on the top of shower rod, layed in tub with him between my legs. he tolerated it very well. 

that said, its a short term 'fix'. only gives you a few months. would not do it again. 

best to you and your kitty!

Honored Contributor

I preferred my Kitty hating the vet, not me......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361   You can do it.  Great tips from these posters.  My cat was 22 when I did this last year.  I was lucky because my son was at home and could open the line,watch the level and close the line while I had Pemberley gently resting on the bed and stuck her with the needle. Yes, you will be nervous, but you get it done because you want to help your fur baby.  Best of luck to you.  A nice vet tech did offer to come to my house for $15 as he made extra income on the side (I live in Los Angeles suburb).  Would depend on how frequently you need to administer the fluids as to affordability.Will be thinking of you.  Let us know.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I had to do this for the first time ever at the end of last year with my very sick Siamese.  My vet showed me how to do it once and I went home with the necessary equipment.

I had a guest staying at the time, so not ideal.  I took my kitty into the downstairs bathroom, put a thick towel on a small table and put her on that.  I hung the bag from the shower rail, took a deep breath and did it.  She was very good and it was over fairly quickly.  I needed to do it once more, so I wouldn't be afraid to do it again in the future, if it was necessary.

Sadly, we lost her about a month later; she was very ill.  We still have three kitties now and I'd do whatever I had to for any of them.

Just stay calm, take your time and you should be fine.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have, and although I am excellent with pills, this process involves even more the personality of your cat.  I have also had the vets provide this service.

There is a level of medical care involved.

One of my cats could not walk right away after the procedure (given by the vet) due to the large fluid lump in her body.  She fell over and had a heart attack and passed away. (She was 17 years old.)

Another cat lived for multiple months receiving the procedure and amazed the vets. (He was over 15 years old.)

In many cases cats at this stage are more fragile as they are suffering from serious ailments (kidney failure).

I have also use a baby kitten bottle to feed the cats a mixture of medical soft food, milk and water to supply fluids.

I extend my best wishes and my thoughts for you and your feline companion.

Respected Contributor

It's deffinately a Team Kitty project!  Until you and kitty are comfortable with the procedure give the fluids in a small room.  The Vet tech said to start in the bathroom with the door closed in case of escape.  Also put a nice soft towel in a laundry basket for kitty to lay in.  Its big enough for her to lay down in but the sides make it more difficult for her to scoot away.  When I was giving fluids to my Trinket  I pre marked the dose amounts on the fluids bag. Made it easier to see while I was kneeling down with her.  also The " roller clamp"  on the line can be moved.  pull it down closer to ( but Not right AT )the end of the line so you have easy access to it to start or close off the fluids going through.  Also make sure the fluids are not really cold.  If it's cold to you, it'll be cold going under kittys skin.  Call your Vet to find out how to warm them up a little bit.  too warm fluids can be worse than to cold. so want to be careful about that.   Youtube ,as others have said, can be a very helpful tool.