Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any vet tech out there who can answer a question?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@elated. She in no way denigrated or criticized anyone's writing skills.  She was merely asked to include a space between paragraphs.  Nobody  should have to skip something due to a problem that can be fixed.

You are being extremely insensitive. 

You are being overly critical. I am not insensitive but realistic. I don't try to change someone to fit my needs.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated 

Snarky!

She posted a nicely worded comment.  It was very difficult to read it and it was an important post that the OP posted.  I finally gave up.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee  I want to apologize to you for getting your question off track. If it were me, I would probably look for another vet for my pet. I know when I had pets, I had to switch until I found someone I felt was doing right for my dog. I do hope you find what willl work for you. Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kristina1 wrote:

@elated 

Snarky!

She posted a nicely worded comment.  It was very difficult to read it and it was an important post that the OP posted.  I finally gave up.

I don't get people that don't realize the OP did her best to relay her situation  We  need  to try to answer a question not analyze it. Just remember we are not in a classroom.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee - I'm not a vet tech but my DH is a veterinarian. I read him your post. He thinks not getting the booster would be a mistake. It was approved and designed to give maximum protective immunity. He thinks you need to pay attention to the time period for the booster. If you wait too long your dog may not get the appropriate level of protection. 

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee I am thrilled that @beach-mom gave you an answer.

We "rescued" a dog and the rescue group took all 10 dogs to the same Vet. I know the dog we got had never been to a Vet and he was about 6 years old. The Vet gave our dog all his shots at once. And unfortunately, our dog had Lyme Disease, in additional to other issues.

The poor dog had convulsions because of all the shots and medication he was given.

Then we took him to our Vet, just to have the poor guy checked out after having the convulsions. As soon as the Vet walked into the exam room, she talked about how we should get his teeth cleaned. And it would be $700. She had not touched our dog or looked at him. Here the poor dog had just had convulsions and she wanted to have his teeth cleaned.

So I think that some Vet have different ideas about the care of animals and you are right to have questions and concerns.. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee 

I found this which may help to explain:

Vaccination

The Lyme vaccine is administered according to the following schedule:

Schedule Vaccine(s)
10 to 16 WeeksInitial Lyme Vaccination
Two (2) to Three (3) Weeks LaterLyme Vaccine Booster
Every Year ThereafterLyme Vaccine Booster
Notice

The Lyme vaccine is administered in series. It is important not to miss the booster of your dog’s first vaccine, as doing so may necessitate restarting the series.

The initial vaccine and booster must be administered two (2) to three (3) weeks apart; if not administered within six (6) weeks (42 days), the series must be restarted.

Dogs unvaccinated for a period of two (2) years or more must restart the series.

I'm not sure what you mean by the $25 charge to "supposedly to make sure she is well enough for the shot".  

As for giving the vaccine in general, that's a decision for you to make.  

ETA
:  As for changing vets, again, that is your decision.  Were it me, I'd definitely ask this current vet to clarify any questions I had regarding any of the care my dog was receiving before I considered another doctor.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@elated wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@KittySoftPaws 

While DH and I no longer have pets, I read through your information to the original poster.

It took quite a while as I had difficulty going line by line to ensure I followed your explanation.

Please, please use the " return " key to create paragraphs so others can readily read / reread your excellent information.  

When information is presented in a " solid block ", I.e., no white space created by paragraphs, chances are folks will not take the time or effort to get into the info.  If they do start into it, it may become difficult to go from one line to the next....they may just drop off.

You cared to share: help your readers understand.

OMG are you for real? Sorry it didn't meet your standards but she was asking a question not to be graded on her writing skills. Please pass by next time someone doesn't live up to your expectations.

@elated.   I though @jlkz very tactfully told the poster that many people here have low vision, which she may not realize, and it's  very difficult to read long unindented posts.  She was absolutely correct.  I know because I'm one of them.  I too, have to skim over or skip some posts, which is frustrating when you're interested in the topic.

Unless you have a vision problem, you wouldn't understand the problem.

Posters here have frequently asked others to make spaced paragraphs.  I've never before heard anyone resent being asked.

I too have difficulty reading long text.  I teach online classes and on occasion have to ask my students to break down their info into paragraphs.  Yes, one long block, especially in a small font, is difficult to read.  The poster was not being the grammar police but asking for help in better understanding what you wrote.  I gave up on about line five. 

Super Contributor

@geegerbee  while I'm not a vet or vet tech, I can answer your inquiry specifically.

The vet for my poodles is the only one in town that offers the lyme vaccine. Since we live in the woods with plenty of deer, we have never hesitated to get this vaccine. 3 poodles vaccinated over the years, 0 problems.

Yes, you absolutely need to get the booster; otherwise, the first dose is totally useless! Ask for rimadyl (their version of human ibuprofen) if you want to help your little one before getting the vaccine.

There is no charge for a tech fee--just the vaccine itself since all I do is take the girls in for a "tech" appointment and not to see the vet per se. I think the vaccine costs anywhere from $50-75. Jasmine and Baby Ruth gets theirs in the late-spring and on time.

From one fur mom to another, get it done.

Super Contributor

@beach-mom  that's exactly what I just told @geegerbee . Booster totally is necessary at this time.