Valued Contributor

Any pet parents out there with Lyme+ pups?

[ Edited ]

I'm getting another foster today and just found out she is Lyme positive. She will start a course of antibiotics. Hopefully, they will help her.

I just want to give her the best life I can as she has not had the most positive past. She was used for a 'backyard breeder' and had no love or compassion her entire life. She doesn't even have a name.....until now.

She will now be called Callie. She just has such a sweet little face and I thought Callie just fit. 

I can't wait to get her and spoil her with love and goodies. 

Anyway...if anyone has info on Lyme's disease in dogs please let me know. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any pet parents out there with Lyme+ pups?

We had a mutt with chronic Lyme.  If I recall, there was not a preventive vaccine back then (don't know how effective they are, anyway).  Every couple of years she would have a terrific relapse and become very sick with lameness and fever, treatable with antibiotics.  She was a 55lb dog and lived to the healthy age of 14.  Cancer ultimately caused her passing.

She always tested positive (she had the receptors) but we only treated when she was symptomatic.

We did our best to prevent ticks but we also allowed her to run joyous and free in the outdoors, because what would be the point, otherwise?

Happiness to you and Callie!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We adopted a dog w/heartworm.He was very ill and thought he would die. That was 21/2 years ago . Today he is healthy,perky and healed. We love him so much.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I'm getting another foster today and just found out she is Lyme positive. She will start a course of antibiotics. Hopefully, they will help her.

I just want to give her the best life I can as she has not had the most positive past. She was used for a 'backyard breeder' and had no love or compassion her entire life. She doesn't even have a name.....until now.

She will now be called Callie. She just has such a sweet little face and I thought Callie just fit. 

@CritterKeeper @Here is LYME DISEASE: A PET OWNERS GUIDE from the American Veterinary Medical Association.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiclLuigdTwAhURG80KHbNkAe0Q...

Here is Lyme Disease and Treatment in dogs from Pet MD. Better than first source above.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjRoOebgtTwAhVUB50JHbUvBZgQ...

Here is Lyme Disease in Dogs from American Vetrinary Practice. A bit more technical than the first two.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjxm4D2gtTwAhWbWc0KHf6tCSkQ...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CritterKeeper wrote:

@CritterKeeper 

Thank you for giving Callie a good home, a chance to know love and kindness, and the fact that not ALL humans are jerks!

🌟🌟🌟 & Good Wishes, to CALLIE and your Family.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Drythe  Thank you for the kind words. Her first couple of nights were really rough. She was scared to death, poor baby. Plus she just had her 8-week old pups taken away.

She is coming around and beginning to trust us. She is such a dear little thing. I love her already. With the right home, she will make a wonderful companion. Luckily the rescue I work with does a very good job placing the dogs in the right homes. 

Valued Contributor

Finally got a good pic of her. Isn't she darling?! callie.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a rescue that was Lyme+. He had many other health issues.

The Vet put him on a heavy dose of antibiotics. In addition to addressing all his other health issues. Poor dog went into convulsions. So the Vet said discontinue the antibiotics. He always tested positive. But I can't say that he was affected by Lyme. He went on 4 mile walks every morning for years until he started to slow down the last year or so.

No one knew how long he had Lyme disease, so they weren't sure that the antibiotics would have been of any help.

I will say that he had a good happy life with us. And I really can't say Lyme disease affected his quality of life. He was allergic to fleas and I think once he was rid of them, he was just one happy camper. 

PS - Our collie was from a backyard breeder too. He was never in a house and had never been to a Vet. Well, after we got him, he was well known at the Vet's office. And loved by all.

Super Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

Our Lab was tested positive for Lyme's when she was about a year old. She was given a course of antibiotics and is doing great. She is 7 now and all of her yearly Lyme's tests are negative. 

Valued Contributor

@FS74  Wow! That is great to hear! I sure hope this little gal does the same. She is such a little dear thing that has been through so much in her short little life. She deserves to live the rest of her life pain-free and full of love.