Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any ideas why my cat won't bury her poo?

@cookinfreak , some just don't. 

I foster litters, get them ready for adoption. That includes learning to use the litter box.

While most bury their own to some degree, some get in there and double-bury what's already there, and some just go and walk away, leaving it exposed.

I'd accept that, since the most important part is that they go IN the box, not just wherever.

The cat may get it if you're behind them, burying it. But could resent any kind of encouragement or coaxing about this function and may start to relieve themselves secretly, somewhere else if you try to change this habit.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes my cats bury their poop, other times they don't. I just don't worry about it.  

I do, however, have those automatic boxes that go off after about 15-20 minutes. They're not entirely maintenance free, but work for me. Have had them at least 3 years. I did increase the waste storage capacity; you can do so by searching youtube. 

Respected Contributor

It usually means they are in charge and they're the top dog!

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

. . .

Seems like, as a typical male, he preferred to "stand up" with his front paws propped upon the edge and do his business!  . . . . .

@denisemb 

😂  One of my male cats does this too!  

I've had one kitten that did this, too!

He didn't learn it from seeing any others do it. 

Super Contributor

My cat doesn't cover either but I don't care because we had the WORST time with him going outside the box.

We tried every type of litter (from soft corn cob to pellets like Tidy Cats Breeze) and all different types of boxes (giant, smaller, no cover, with a cover, etc). Tried every spray out there to discourage going on the same spot.Still he'd occasionally for no apparent reason go outside the box.  Vet said he checked out just fine so suggested prozac but all that did was make him sleepy.  Then I heard about Cat Attract litter that has a special herb (not catnip) that cats like. My cat loves it and has had NO accidents in a year. I know this is off topic but thought I'd tell my story in case someone else has a similar problem.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for the replies. Wasn't sure if it was something to really watch but knowing other people have had this go on, I don't feel like she is just a weirdo! I've never had a cat do that before and I just found it strange. But I guess it's not so unusual. Thanks to you all again!

cookin

Respected Contributor

@denisemb 

Purrrrfect - they must!

Honored Contributor

He might be just one of those free spirits, lol!  I have jhad many cats over one last 45 years.  I used to foster and rescue. Over the years I had a couple cats who were just slobs.  Like people, lol.  They not only didn't bother to bury their business, they didn't care if was in or out of the box.  They barely cleaned their fur, even if they had dingle balls hanging. One cat chuckle just never bathed either, smelled.  I had to take a wash rag and clean him up.