Valued Contributor

Any ideas why my cat won't bury her poo?

She uses the litter box and scratches around, but doesn't cover it with the litter? Tried new litter and a new box, but that didn't help.

Thanks for your help

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Any ideas why my cat won't bury her poo?

@cookinfreak  One of my cats won’t cover anything she does in the litter box. She does her business and hurriedly jumps out. Seems like she thinks it’s gross and she wants out asap. 

Honored Contributor

My male cat - 13 years old - doesn't always bury his poop either.  Don't know why sometimes he does or doesn't.  I would think as long as she's using the box, doesn't seem to be having any difficulties with having a bowel movement, and all else seems fine - eating, urinating in box, playing, etc. - I wouldn't worry too much unless you see other changes in her behavior.  

Honored Contributor

Did the cat just start not covering her business or was the cat always like that? I had a female cat who would not cover her scat and I thought it was because she shared the box with another cat. I put another box out and even though she was the first cat to use the box she still did not cover her business up. Fortunately for us, our male cat would cover it up before he got in the box. Good luck, I've cared for many cats over a life time and they are all different and I have always found the females to be more peculiar.

Super Contributor

Maybe she's proud of it?  Lol

Honored Contributor

I have the opposite situation with one of my cats--he keeps covering and covering until he has a mountain of litter.

Sometimes one of my cats won't cover his urine.  And sometimes, they think they're covering, but they just miss the spot.

I can't answer your question, but if it were me, I'd count it a plus as long as she just goes in the box.  Some cats don't even do that.

Frequent Contributor

My cat likes to do her business in the very corner of her box.  She then proceeds to scratch the sides of the litter box thinking that will help cover it up.  I keep telling her that she's not doing any good, but she doesn't listen!  After scratching for awhile and sniffing her uncovered mess, she jumps out, proud as can be.  Then I go scoop it up.  Cats!   

Esteemed Contributor

A little off subject but still about CATS......I was hunting on the internet for a small storage cabinet with 2 doors.

One brilliant lady left a Review and picture of what she had done.  Bought the cabinet - had hubby cut an opening on the right side of cabinet .......and put the litter box in for use.  To clean she simply opens the two front cabinet doors .............smart lady who doesn't want litter box visible. 

Love it.................

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

A little off subject but still about CATS......I was hunting on the internet for a small storage cabinet with 2 doors.

One brilliant lady left a Review and picture of what she had done.  Bought the cabinet - had hubby cut an opening on the right side of cabinet .......and put the litter box in for use.  To clean she simply opens the two front cabinet doors .............smart lady who doesn't want litter box visible. 

Love it.................

@fthunt , OMG, I love you!!! You have NO idea how much I appreciate this brilliant solution!

I'm absolutely thrilled to pieces.

I live in a condo which has zero free space....and the downstairs litter box is right at the entrance to the front door.

'Welcome to my house.'  Smiley Sad

So, now I will begin the fun search of a funky thrift store cabinet that'll look oh-so-charming at my front door!

Hooray. Heart

Thanks a zillion!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak 

My cat Shadow sometimes leaves his giant poops "on display" as though it's an art project he's proudly trying to show his Mudder and Fadder.

He's a joker making UNFUNNY jokes, not art!

Cats are funny lil creatures, and just when you think you got 'em figured out - they display their poo for you!