Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any ideas why my cat won't bury her poo?

@sabatini You gave me a good laugh - and happy I could help.  I was looking for inexpensive cabinets on Wayfair - and others  in the price range of $200 or less - - so if your funky antique shopping doesn't work out............check them out.  Just loved this worman's out-of-the- box  (so to speak) idea.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini   Do a search for "litter box cabinet" on Amazon.  Lots of choices will come up.  They are anywhere from $45 up.  There are some nice looking ones.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Are any of these cover-adverse cats declawed?  I wonder if the litter is irritating to their sensitive paws. 

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

A little off subject but still about CATS......I was hunting on the internet for a small storage cabinet with 2 doors.

One brilliant lady left a Review and picture of what she had done.  Bought the cabinet - had hubby cut an opening on the right side of cabinet .......and put the litter box in for use.  To clean she simply opens the two front cabinet doors .............smart lady who doesn't want litter box visible. 

Love it.................

This wouldn't have worked for my late cat, Rocko.  When we adopted Millie we got an additional covered litter box and he refused to use it.

Seems like, as a typical male, he preferred to "stand up" with his front paws propped upon the edge and do his business!  LOL  I've had many cats throughout the years who exhibited some of behaviors described above, but this was a first for me.

Millie, on the other hand, was something else.  Used to joke you could put 3 grains of kitty litter in an ashtray, and she'd hit the mark!  She was not only precise, but  covered her business efficiently.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

A little off subject but still about CATS......I was hunting on the internet for a small storage cabinet with 2 doors.

One brilliant lady left a Review and picture of what she had done.  Bought the cabinet - had hubby cut an opening on the right side of cabinet .......and put the litter box in for use.  To clean she simply opens the two front cabinet doors .............smart lady who doesn't want litter box visible. 

Love it.................

This wouldn't have worked for my late cat, Rocko.  When we adopted Millie we got an additional covered litter box and he refused to use it.

Seems like, as a typical male, he preferred to "stand up" with his front paws propped upon the edge and do his business!  LOL  I've had many cats throughout the years who exhibited some of behaviors described above, but this was a first for me.

Millie, on the other hand, was something else.  Used to joke you could put 3 grains of kitty litter in an ashtray, and she'd hit the mark!  She was not only precise, but  covered her business efficiently.

@denisemb 

😂  One of my male cats does this too!  

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak - Male kitties are notorious for jumping in, going, and leaving! Our three males right now will at least dig and cover for depositing something, but for just urinating it's stop, go, leave. 

Our female is very fussy. She will sniff and dig for a long time to make sure everything is covered. And she won't use the box if it's been "used" a lot! We try to keep them clean as much as we can. We have 4 boxes - two covered, two not. They alternate; there doesn't seem to be a pattern.

She may not like the litter. That's very common. DH will tell people sometimes it takes a while to find the right one. The other thing is could something have scared her while she was in there one time - like a loud noise or something? She may just want to go and hurry out of there. It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your veterinarian and see what he/she says. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby   That's amazing!  They must have been brothers by another mother!  LOL

Denise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak   Answer:  Cats are just WEIRD!  I had a neighbor with two cats.  One would not cover her poo, and the other would go in and cover it for her.

I like covered litter boxes, but I think it works best if you start them in one when they are still kittens.  The fella I have now, at almost 5 years old, has grown to 15 lbs, and I feel badly that he has to fit into that same covered box, but somehow he pulls it off.  He loves his box, and like someone else said, he covers so well that it creates a huge mound on one side.  Thank goodness for the cover, and at least I know where to start digging for the treasures!

Laura loves cats!
Occasional Contributor

I always thought the cat's mother teaches her kittens to cover or not to cover.  I've had feral kittens who were left at a very young age on my patio by their mother & they wouldn't cover.  I place my litter boxes on a large plastic roof sheeting & some of the litter gets pushed onto the sheet....one cat will not go in box to poop but goes on the plastic sheet between the boxes & covers with the 20 pieces of litter!  God love 'em...they are strange little creatures.

Respected Contributor

The prissy non-burying cats probably think -- 'my two legged caregivers just play with it anyway. I'll make it easier. Besides, I could break a nail.'