Respected Contributor

Any Doberman owners on the forum?

This post is more out of curiosity but I was wondering if anyone here either has or had a Doberman.   I'm not a large dog person, I actually prefer the smaller breeds, but I've always loved the Doberman breed.   

They are a beautiful and stately dog.  I know the movies that came out in the 70's about how dangerous the breed was and how they were killer dogs really took it's toll on the breed.  

I've worked with them in the veterinary hospital and I can say that I've never encountered one that was difficult to handle.  There are many other larger breeds that had their charts marked with the word "caution".  

I will never own a Doberman, but the times that I've seen them being walked in the park, pre-pandemic of course, I am always awed by their elegant demeanor.  

Needless to say, I just adore Zeus and Apollo from Magnum P.I.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Doberman owners on the forum?

My Rocky was the most gentle and loving dog ever. Doberman's do require a lot of  exercise. They are an exquisite dog.

Respected Contributor

I've not met any recently but in the early "70s" they were popular.  I never met a mean one.  GOOFY,  yes. mean, no.  Cropped ears and tail give them a completely different look then they have naturally.  I met a LOT more mean Shar Pei dogs than Dobermans.

Respected Contributor

My Parents raised and trained Dobermans when I was a child ...

I love the breed ... as you said so stately .... personally I would

always own a female .....our last one " Stormy "  .. was great

with us kids ....My father did obedience training with them ....

Honored Contributor

I used to have one and he didn't have a mean bone in his body, a real lovebug!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

I owned a dobbie for13 years. I had many dogs and cats as a child but never a big dog. I was working and had purchased my first home by myself , and decided I needed a pet. I was working steady3-11 and got home rather late at night.I wanted something  to be waiting for meat the when I returned. One morning i when to our local shelter to look for a companion. They showed me what they had, but none really made an impression on me, when I look in the far corner cage and saw a very large,very sad eyed red dobbie.i asked why she was by herself ,and they said she was not for adoption,she was not. Mean or bitety , but rather uncontrolled ,and was to be put down .I said that I was interested in her , but they said she was not available. They did take you name and phone number in case a dog came In I might be interested in. I no sooner got into my house when my phone was ringing.it was the shelter ,they said I could 

have her if I came right away toget her, because she was scheduled to be put down. I went immediately.got her , put her in the backseat of my car and we went home. I only had 45 minutes to get her a bowl of water,a quick walk around my(her) year. 
andget ready to leave for work. I left for work giving her full run of my very open concept home . Not knowing what I would come home to.I got home at my usual11:30 pm only to open the door to find a very happy,tail wagging ,gentle dog.when I took her to a vet we found she had very uncontrolled diabetes that required a special diet and insulin shots everyday. She was a wonderful companion , and more than I ever could have wished for. Very king, gentle and sensitive. One of the best dogs I have ever owned. I had her for 13 years. Miss her very much. 

Respected Contributor

Great story .. brought tears to m;y eyes ...

Valued Contributor

My late parents had a Doberman before I was born. They told me stories about their gentle "Monty."  He was so friendly that occasionally he would get loose and hop aboard the local bus and take a ride until the bus driver would drop him back home. Monty's exploits were written up in a local newspaper. 

Respected Contributor

That's so cute .... that made me smile .....