Super Contributor

We had to say goodbye to Sancho today ... very sad day. Vet said it was most likely kidney failure that had been causing him to chew on himself - there was nothing she could do for him. 002.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz  I'm so very very sorry to hear this sad news about Sancho.  I was hoping he would start doing better.  It's so hard to lose our beloved pets.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss. Birds can be fragile creatures. Hugs to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Such a young bird for kidney failure.  Would have thought it would have been caught in the blood work.  Sorry for your loss.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Wahoogaz - I was saddened to read of Sancho's passing. I'm surprised it wasn't caught in any of the tests they did. It is hard to lose a loved one. Please take care.

BTW - I've had an African Grey for more than 25 years. Moved Simon from NJ to SC several years ago. Lo & behold, I guess I'm changing "his" name to Simone - she started laying eggs about 18 months ago - go figure!

Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Such a young bird for kidney failure.  Would have thought it would have been caught in the blood work.  Sorry for your loss.

I agree ... way too young. The vet was surprised that more didn't show in the bloodwork, but came to that conclusion from the other symptoms he had.

When ever I get a new dog, I always have a full panel of bloodwork done so we have a baseline to work with in case any issues develop later in life. I never thought to do that with the birds, but maybe I should talk to the vet about that next time I'm there. Birds are so fragile that I'm not sure they want to take any blood unnecessarily.

Super Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Wahoogaz - I was saddened to read of Sancho's passing. I'm surprised it wasn't caught in any of the tests they did. It is hard to lose a loved one. Please take care.

BTW - I've had an African Grey for more than 25 years. Moved Simon from NJ to SC several years ago. Lo & behold, I guess I'm changing "his" name to Simone - she started laying eggs about 18 months ago - go figure!

Thank you. It is hard to lose one of our babies, but I know we did all we could and we just couldn't stand to let him suffer any more - knowing he wasn't going to get better no matter what we did. He's now healthy and flying free.

That is a funny story about the eggs.

We looked at a new bird today and the woman made the mistake of referring to it as 'she', so as far as my husband is concerned it's a girl and he's giving it his favorite aunt's name (our current parrot has his favorite uncle's name). The bird isn't for sale until Thursday, so our current bird will have to make it through two more days with an empty cage beside him. Hopefully, he'll have a new buddy on soon and they'll become as close as he was with Sancho.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

Thank you. It is hard to lose one of our babies, but I know we did all we could and we just couldn't stand to let him suffer any more - knowing he wasn't going to get better no matter what we did. He's now healthy and flying free.

We looked at a new bird today and the woman made the mistake of referring to it as 'she', so as far as my husband is concerned it's a girl and he's giving it his favorite aunt's name (our current parrot has his favorite uncle's name). The bird isn't for sale until Thursday, so our current bird will have to make it through two more days with an empty cage beside him. Hopefully, he'll have a new buddy on soon and they'll become as close as he was with Sancho.

@Wahoogaz  Is it another cockatoo?  If not, what is it?  Is there any way to tell the sex of parrots?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I agree ... way too young. The vet was surprised that more didn't show in the bloodwork, but came to that conclusion from the other symptoms he had.

When ever I get a new dog, I always have a full panel of bloodwork done so we have a baseline to work with in case any issues develop later in life. I never thought to do that with the birds, but maybe I should talk to the vet about that next time I'm there. Birds are so fragile that I'm not sure they want to take any blood unnecessarily.

Avian vets take blood routinely.  My 25 yrs old blue front amazon has it done annually.  My mom's African Gray has blood taken every month to monitor his pheonabarbdal levels to prevent seizures.  The avian vet we use even did a hysterectomy on a cockatiel to stop excessive egg laying.  Birds are not that fragile.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Wahoogaz wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@Wahoogaz  Is it another cockatoo?  If not, what is it?  Is there any way to tell the sex of parrots?

With some species it is very easy to tell, others not so much.  I had my Amazon DNA tested....it a boy.