Valued Contributor

I feel like I have ruined my dog's life by making a move that was not really necessary.  He is a " gentle giant" golden lab. He was diagnosed with cancer last August and so far was still doing okay up until 2 months ago when we moved from the 52 acre ranch where he had lived his whole life (11 years) to a house in a small town with a small backyard.  My poor dog has been so stressed out over the change. He had a seizure one day and vet said it was due to the stress he had been under. After the seizure, every time he would start to fall asleep, he would suddenly jerk awake as if something had startled him. The vet prescribed a medication for the anxiety and the jerking awake episodes stopped. We were able to stop the medication for that. Now, today, I took him in to the vet for a checkup and back home he starts the episodes again. This has nothing to do with the cancer. I am just sick that I have done this to my sweet boy.   IMG_3624.JPG

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

Welcome to the board. Your fur baby is a beauty, I'm sorry you're going thru this problem. Keep him reassured, pet him often, I hope things get better soon.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it seems most dogs would prefer to live on a 52 acre ranch vs a home in town with a small yard.  I hope he adjusts in time.

Contributor

He will be fine - 2 months is not that long after your move. I moved 3 months ago and my lab is just getting used to the new house. My vet said dogs are attached to people - not places and not to worry. My dog is 4 and suffers from separation anxiety. But, as I said, he is acclimating to his new surroundings. It will work out! Be as patient as you can. I know how you feel!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with @PMal, as long as he still has his loved ones and personal possessions in the new home, he'll be fine.

Don't be so hard on yourself, sometimes life changes are unavoidable or necessary.

Just give him a little more time and some extra lovin's!Heart

And welcome to our playground!

Image result for welcome to the forum image

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I agree with @KingstonsMom.  Sure, he might prefer the old place, but he’ll adjust.  The only thing I might add is to not stress over this yourself.  If you’re nervous or feeling sorry for him, he is picking up on your emotions.  If you’re calm and go about his routine like nothing is different, he’ll fall right in with you.

My last dog got progressively anxious as she aged and her health declined. And we had not moved.  

Esteemed Contributor

He's a beautiful dog and it's obvious that he is well taken care of and deeply loved.  Don't beat yourself up because you moved.  You had to do what you had to do.  In no way did you "ruin" his life.

I find it rather heartless that your vet would say it was stress that caused his seizure.  Can your vet know this for sure?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Can we be sure that the seizure isn't related to the cancer?  And why didn't the vet put the dog on phenobarbitol or some other anti-seizure medication?  Being on an anti anxiety pill alone doesn't sound like it would do the trick.  

You need to stop blaming yourself for your dogs problems.  As long as you are providing him with love and proper care (which is obvious by looking at him), you are doing your part.  

My one collie who passed from cancer at the young age of 7, didn't start having seizures until after we found out he had cancer.

I'm sorry your dog is going through this right now, but please don't be so hard on yourself.  

Valued Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

He's a beautiful dog and it's obvious that he is well taken care of and deeply loved.  Don't beat yourself up because you moved.  You had to do what you had to do.  In no way did you "ruin" his life.

I find it rather heartless that your vet would say it was stress that caused his seizure.  Can your vet know this for sure?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Can we be sure that the seizure isn't related to the cancer?  And why didn't the vet put the dog on phenobarbitol or some other anti-seizure medication?  Being on an anti anxiety pill alone doesn't sound like it would do the trick.  

You need to stop blaming yourself for your dogs problems.  As long as you are providing him with love and proper care (which is obvious by looking at him), you are doing your part.  

My one collie who passed from cancer at the young age of 7, didn't start having seizures until after we found out he had cancer.

I'm sorry your dog is going through this right now, but please don't be so hard on yourself.  

@Citrine1  Thank you for the comforting words. This move has kind of left me feeling like a fish out of water, too, and he is my world. I just love him so much and can't stand the thought of the future without him.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Your reply was right on to @Sapphiregal !  Encouraging & helpful.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

Welcome to the Pet Forum.

Your golden lab is so handsome.  I agree with others here - please don't beat yourself up.  It won't help anything, perhaps make it more stressful.

I can tell you love your precious pooch, just continue to show him your love & I'm sure he'll come around.  Maybe some playtime with his toys outdoors or walks in the neighborhood would help?

I hope you both feel content in your new home soon.