Honored Contributor

Happy tears for you all and this good boy, @KBEANS 

He has a sweet and thoughtful face. It's clear he's somebody who would have been good at his job, and now he's learning all about his new life so very, very nicely.

Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@KBEANS,

He is so beautiful @KBEANS .

What a sweetheart he must be and so are you and your husband!

I bet since he was a service dog, he must feel he needs to help and protect your husband. I think I would try having him help you and make him feel like you need him too to protect and help you. He may be worried since its his job to stay by your husband, so try to get him to see that you need him to help you too?

Here are some organizations that help people who can't afford their vet bills. We used one long ago for our senior dog when we had very little money for anything-

I hope some of this may help-

How can I get help paying for vet bills?

Charities that help pay vet bills
  1. Paws 4 A Cure. This organization helps cats and dogs regardless of breed, age, or diagnosis. ...
  2. The Pet Fund. ...
  3. Brown Dog Foundation. ...
  4. Joshua Louis Animal Cancer Foundation. ...
  5. Diabetic Cats in Need. ...
  6. Magic Bullet Fund. ...
  7. The Mosby Foundation. ...
  8. Handicapped Pets Foundation.

Have a Merry 1st Christmas together!💞

@on the bay @KBEANS 

Also, don't hesitate to contact your local rescue groups, they also help with medical bills for adopted animals, even if not adopted from them.

My avatar, Kingston was picked up off the streets by Animal Control after he had been burned down his back, horrific burns, when I spotted him at Animal Control.

I inquired about him and was told that he was scheduled for euthanasia because it would be too expensive to treat his wounds. I have pics and they're horrific.

I contacted my favorite rescue group for help to pull him out before he was euthanized and asked if they could help me pay for his burn treatment.

They pulled him out and held a fundraiser for his treatment.

Most of these local rescue groups have connections with local Vets that volunteer their services to homeless pets.

God bless them all!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Jake update

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom😭❤️

No words💓

Except, I'm so glad he has you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: Another Jake update

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom @on the bay @GingerPeach 

Thats a sad story with a happily ever after ! Kingston is a survivor and you're a champ! I know he brings you great joy and vice versa. 

Today I was home from work and we hung out together all afternoon. I did just what you suggested and he was happy to be with me!  🤫 SSSSSH he still missed my husband; but not like last week! He's getting used to being with a larger family because he only knew home life with Daddy Dwight. 

I walked him today and it was much smoother than last week. I walked him 3 times and I show him off and brag about him!

Im also taking tomorrow off of work and will have some more bonding time with my boy! 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS,

Yea!! I'm so happy to hear that!

I bet he will soon be following you all over too just like with your husband.

Thank you for that sweet update!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@KingstonsMom @on the bay @GingerPeach 

Thats a sad story with a happily ever after ! Kingston is a survivor and you're a champ! I know he brings you great joy and vice a versa. 

Today I was home from work and we hung out together all afternoon. I did just what you suggested and he was happy to be with me!  🤫 SSSSSH he still missed my husband; but not like last week! He's getting used to being with a larger family because he only knew home life with Daddy Dwight. 

I walked him today and it was much smoother than last week. I walked him 3 times and I show him off and brag about him!

Im also taking tomorrow off of work and will have some more bonding time with my boy! 

@KBEANS 

Oh how sweet, I'm so happy for both of you!

With a little more time, he'll be more and more comfortable realizing that he's now in his forever loving home!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Jake is trying to complete his task of aid dog to your husband. If he is seperated from him he will wait at the next best location (door) until he returns. His task isn't completed until your husband returns and he can resume his duties. 

That said.....he will blend with other family members but needs extra time to form those bonds. He may still be in mouring. Give him time and patience and love. It sounds like he has that already. The pacing will eventually slow down once he is comfrotable with the routine. The more you try to distract him from his pacing/waiting the more he will continue it. It's their job and internal clock. 

I had an English Shepherd that was like this. It took awhile for both of us to figure things out. When we did it he developed into a fine and loving member of the family. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Fressa for sharing your knowledge with me and for your input. I truly appreciate all the feedback I am receiving from this wonderful community! 

Respected Contributor

Jake had a Merry Christmas with his new family. He received  some suave clothes and the toy dog with the heart beat which he loves. My DIL bought that for him. @Flopsy  mentioned that here. He was so happy spending time with my sons dog Sasha. They really love each other and it's so heartwarming to watch. They've been pals for years but it's so much more enjoyable for them to be together more frequently in the house.

Regular Contributor

So glad to hear Jake is doing well and enjoyed Christmas.  Jake is now a true member of your family and has settled into his new life style.  You are his new mummy and daddy.  Let me know how the heartbeat toy works because we have just adopted a new dog, Snowball, his mummy had to go into an elderly home.  It's a new learning curve for us, he is 8 and clearly has anxiety issue but we love him already.  He is a maltipoo.

Toby, our 14 year old is adjusting but Snowball is trying to be the alpha so we are being firm but positive and giving lots of praise.  I now too need your support along with everyone on this forum.