Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Dog Question - Teeth Cleaning

First off, stop feeding him.  Anesthesia and antibiotics will often upset the digestive system.  Do not feed for 24 hours then start with SMALL bland meals. Let his system recover. Probotics such as FortiFlor will help balance the bacteria in the GI tract.  Anestesia and sedation are two different things and incubation can cause some discomfort in the throat.  Did you follow the vets take home instructions?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina -

If that was my dog acting like that after having anesthesia, I would take him to the nearest vet as soon as they open or even an emergency vet.

Especially if that was truly their explanation when you asked. 

I hope he will be ok.

But I would take him today!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Anesthesia is where the patient is completely 100% knocked out.

Sedation is where the patient is out in to a "twilight" state and is NOT  100% under.

There IS a difference between the two.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina - When we adopted our dog, we tried to brush his teeth, but he would have nothing to do with that. So, both our dog and cat get their teeth cleaned at the vet's. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina 

My Corgi was allergic to anesthesia and almost died under a teeth cleaning. so much so his young vet tec quit on the spot that day!

Most vets have dog dentisits come in once or twice a month,they don't do it themselves.

After that happened, I told my new vet about it every time he went so he would know !

Of course he never had a teeth cleaning again!

There are many great teeth cleaning chews for them.

Your dog seems to be suffering so...............

PLEASE TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE ER VET NOW!!!

Contributor

I have an easy solution.  I used to have my goldens teeth cleaned at vet but I hated to have him put under.  Just try CET dog toothpaste and it takes off all of the brown stains.  My dog LOVED the poultry flavor.  I just used kid sized toothbrushes and brushed them twice a week.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Why would you not realize he was sedated, I am sure it is on your receipt.  Did you not ask questions about the procedure, costs, follow up care. While there are some vets that will do teeth cleaning without anesthesia, they are few and far between.

According to the 2019 AAHA Dental Care Guidelines for Dogs and Cats, anesthesia-free dentistry is neither safer nor sufficiently comparable to supra- and subgingival cleaning in an anesthetized patient, and is therefore unacceptable. Although owners’ fear of anesthesia is the most common reason pets don’t receive medically necessary dental care, most animals do well under anesthesia and have few complications

Respected Contributor

I hope you've taken you dog to be evaluated if he still sounds like he is gurgling when he breathes 2 days after his dental.

As for the Tube.. the last time I had my Kitty in for a teeth cleaning ( and tooth removal it turned out) they explained that they would give her a shot first to get her sleepy enough to put a tube down her throat.  She was then kept on gas for the proceedure so they could control how deeply under she was at any given time. Less anesthesia when they were cleaning her teeth and more when they were doing something painful.  I WANTED the tube in place. I wanted her to have Just enough anesthesia to do the job and be able to give her oxygen directly and have her wake up in minutes not hours. 

But Your Vet sounds like a very poor communicator.  You need to demand they see your pet if he is still not right or take him somewhere else to be evaluated.

Is you usual Vet the one who actually did the proceedure or was it another Dr. in the Practice?  I'd consider finding myself a new Vet if this is how they deal with after surgery problems in their patients.

He should be better by now.