Honored Contributor

Re: Annabelle and Her Conversations With Bill The Cat!

You are a hoot as always, dear @Annabellethecat66 ! 😄

Cats are strange about their water.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a dog that didn’t want to drink.  I have one cat that drinks just fine—but only out of one bathroom sink faucet.  He curls up in the sink, puts his head back over his back, and drinks away from the running water.  He’ll come and get me and meow and lead me to the bathroom if he’s thirsty.

My other cat hates water.  Haven’t ever seen him take a drink.  Oh, he loves to play in running water—until he sticks his paw in it and finds out it’s wet.  Then he’s gone like a flash.  I make sure he gets plenty of wet food with gravy for the moisture.  But I found out by accident just the other night that he actually does drink water on his own.  I came out into the kitchen one night in the dark, and there he was at the water bowl drinking away like he had been in the Sahara desert for a month.  The little devil has probably been drinking all along, just not when I could see him. 😈  

Cats! 😸

Esteemed Contributor

YOU are so funny!, always make me laugh!

As others have mentioned, I mix just a bit of water with my dogs dry food and a teaspoon of canned. 

My older dog decided he won’t eat breakfast unless it has a teaspoon of baby food added. Aldi has tubes of it, Turkey & sweet potato. Nice & moist. 

I had a Siamese years ago who wouldn’t eat cat food because we got him in Germany and they didn’t have his food here. He ate boiled chicken or liver, I mixed that with water because he didn’t drink much. He did drink from a dripping bathtub faucet. It fascinated him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  ....I loved your chat with Bill ... you made me laugh tonight 🥰🐾😻😾😼😸🙀

Esteemed Contributor

@ Annebelle, I'm sure Bill understands you (animals are intelligent), but does he really care what you say? I've talked to cats before, and I know they understand me, but prefer to ignore it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

This has been so much fun (and informative).  I love reading everyone's posts..

I used to have one of those running faucets thingys and my cats wanted no part of it.

I'vw also bought something you put in water to make it flavorable.  I've only used bottled water but then when Katie the cat had to have some teeth pulled.....the mom in me decided she wasn't getting the flouride in tap water, so I also put out a bowl of tap water....

Recently, Bill had to have a tooth pulled.  The Vet (we call him Dr. Dave) said it didn't help keep his teeth cleaned when all he ate was soft food (I even use an eye dropper to put a little extra water in his soft prescription food!!

Anyway, now the Vet wants to also give him 1/4 amount of food to be prescription hard food.  So......I bought some of that.  It's small but kinda hard so he has to chew.  I use a measuring scooper so he gets (hopefully) the right amount.

I give Bill some near him and toss the other out into the rug so that Katie the cat can have some.  That way they think it's a treat!

The weather here in Northern Va has been amazing today.  Bill's been out on the screened part of the back porch (I prop open the door into the house).  Are they spoiled or what!  Ha!

Take care sweet ladies.  Like I said, I'm going to get one of those fountain things for the water.

I wonder if I tell Bill to stay away (you know how they do the opposite) he'll go right to it.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

You people think your cats understand what you say??  That's just crazy...

Oh, wait.  I'm also crazy and have had cats so I TOTALLY believe you. (slapping myself).

Denise
Super Contributor

I also have a cat that doesn't drink enough water. I have recently had to transition him from indoor/ outside cat to strictly indoors. He drank more when roaming around outside. He will not eat canned food but will lick the juice off Friskies shreds. Crazy cat!! I eat tuna usually once a week. I save the tuna juice and add tuna juice with additional water to a syringe. I try to give him 40 ml a day plus what he drinks on his own. I give him 2 syringes at a time. This tuna flavored water he drinks up. I plan to increase his intake next week. Does anyone know how much water a cat needs to drink daily?

Esteemed Contributor

I have a cat water fountain, that my cats love.

fountain.jpg

I got it off of Amazon.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I have a cat water fountain, that my cats love.

fountain.jpg

I got it off of Amazon.

@Anonymous032819. I have the same one. My 15 year old cat wasn’t  drinking and we got this. He is there drinking all the time. Thank Goodness as vet said he was not going to be around much longer.

Annabelle said she tried this and it didn’t work for her cat.