Honored Contributor

Annabelle and Her Conversations With Bill The Cat!

So, I've been sitting here telling Bill the cat that it's imperative that he drink water....so imperative.

Well, I don't use those big words with him because after all he's only a little boy (but he is 12.....let's not talk about that).

So, I've been explaining to him that he needs to drink water.  Bill just will not drink water.  He HATES water.

So, I have to order (thanks to Chewy) special prescription canned wet food...).  It's very expensive and a lot gets wasted....but he's worth it.

I've explained how lucky he is that we have enough money to buy his expensive cat food.  He doesn't seem to care.  I think he thinks he deserves it.  Shhhhuuussshhh...(He really does, deserve it, but don't tell him).

Anyway, I explained to him (as he sat on the table directly across from me) that if he'd just drink water he could have more TREATS.  I have to be careful even how I say the word because he knows the word.  (You see he's a gosh darn genius)....Yepper, Bill the cat is a josh darn genius.

What's that snicker coming up on your face?  Is that a snicker?  Well, if you knew him you'd agree.  Even while he's sleeping he's thinking of ways to drive me freaking crazy....But like I tell him , "It's OTAY"...not OK, but OTAY!

I told him if he'd drink water he would be able to pee pee!  THAT's his problem in a nutshell....he gets a very, very bad urinary tract infection.

So, anyway, I know he understands every word I'm saying because I know that look on his face says he does!

What?  Now don't you tell me that!  You're telling me when I hold up a diagram I've drawn of him (he's orange) and showed him that he needs to drink water (I drew a water bowl)....I also drew little water droplets and some form of his boy parts.......(with a line showing the importance of the water droplets).....you're telling me as he sits there looking and listening he hears.

Wait for it........Bla Bla Bla!

Honored Contributor

Re: Annabelle and Her Conversations With Bill The Cat!

I talk to my birds all of the time Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66.   "You can lead a cat to water but you can't make him drink".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Our furbabies certainly do understand us - oftentimes responding to us with words, sounds, tails, tweets, whatever:  what pet parent doesn't know, "the look"!

@Annabellethecat66, I was thinking perhaps you could infuse a pitcher of water just for Bill, using his favorite fruit/veggie.  It may get him to change his mind and decides water ain't so bad!Woman Wink  It might be worth a try.....

Regular Contributor

I love how we can relate to having conversations with our fur babies. I talk to my dog all the time and sometimes in my native tongue (Patois). She just moves her head from side to side. I swear she knows what I am saying.

She also knows the word, Treat. I have to spell the word if I dont want someone to give her any. They are smart.

Esteemed Contributor

I so enjoyed your conversation with Bill....made perfect sense to me! And also your description of the issues with Bill. I'm sure he listened to you, although we all know that no self-respecting feline could ever acknowledge that!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our 15 year old cat was in bad shape a month or so ago. Long story short, he needed to eat and drink. He wouldn’t drink. We bought the water fountain feeder for cats and he is drinking all the time. Edited to add....our cats name is Bill also!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Annabellethecat66 !

Cute post!!  Woman LOL

I have the same issue with my big male cat too.

Is Bill a good eater?

Here's what I do and it works....and I now just buy inexpensive Friskies canned food.

My always starving cat (19 pounds) gets half a can for supper, and to that I add about 3 Tablespoons of water & mix it up. He eats the whole thing....and has just consumed a bunch of water to boot.

He hasn't had an issue for years now. Yay!

Enjoy Bill! 

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

I use a filter pitcher for my cats' water bowls. At mealtime, I heat half a custard cup of filtered water in the microwave for 20 seconds. Then I mix 2-3 teaspoons of the warm water into their serving of canned food. They have canned food twice a day, 1/3 of a Fancy Feast can so they finish it at one sitting.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  That's adorable and Bill is a great cat name. Every cat who has ever owned me learns the word "treat" immediately. They DO know what you are saying, at least our cats did, and you can tell by the look on their face exactly what they think! Your story gave me a good chuckle today Heart