Respected Contributor

We pay $10.00 at the vet's office to have our dog's nails trimmed. A groomer trims his nails, not the vet. We pay a separate fee for vaccinations and annual check. They bill for the service performed or product we receive as they are taking their time and using their supplies for all.

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking that perhaps the vet was just showing your husband how to do it.  Maybe that's what he asked about.  

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My husband took our dog, a chihuahua mix, to the vet for vaccinations and check up.  I think it was about $175.

While there, my husband said her nails needed trimming, and he didn't ever do it before.  Our other dogs had to be groomed monthly, so they had their nails done.

This vet took a nail trimmer and simulated nail trimming, but didn't do it.  I was more than a little peeved at this.  We are 23 year clients with many pets we take very good care of.  We have spent many THOUSANDS of dollars there.

I think she came so close to trimming her nails and should have DONE IT without charge.  Am I off base?

Hyacinth

Did your husband mention he'd never done it before? Maybe the vet thought he wanted to know how. 

Your husband should have clarified when the vet started showing him how to do it.

If the vet does it, the vet should charge for it. Services aren't free.

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I off base?

[ Edited ]

Veterinary offices these days are BIG business. In my experience, they do nothing for free (maybe so in the past)-  I never leave there without spending many hundreds, even for a check-up. And good luck if your animal needs an operation, thousands- 

They talk me into bloodwork annually (not necessary in my opinion), and as Carrie mentioned all the unnecessary vaccinations- 🙄 

I have an appointment this week (annual checkup, and I am telling them upfront no Lepto vaccine, no bloodwork)-  You must ask about prices on anything they do, or else you will be shocked later!  
Honestlyi don't know how so many people afford pets!! 

Super Contributor

our vet of over 30 years has always charged $10 for nail trim.  price has not changed that i know of. 

we always trimmed our dogs ourselves and our cat. but sometimes when the cat went in for check ups, he would do them if needed and charged.  

our present dog goes to groomer every 6 weeks and they do his nails along with bath and groom. 

vets  charge for everything and they should.  they are not running a free operation.  they have costs too!  if they did it for you then they have to do for everyone, that's a lot of $$ lost. 

i think when u said simulation, the vet was showing your DH how to do it.   if u don't want to pay, then learn to do it yourself.  its not hard, just don't go above the curve of the nail....

Honored Contributor

I agree it seems like some kind of misunderstanding.  I personally feel a groomer would be a better choice for nail trimming.  They are less rushed than they are at the Vet's office and most likely do a nicer job.   I know expenses are high but you have to remember these places:   Doctors offices, Dentists, Vets, on and on have a steep overhead for educated, certified/licensed staff, supplies including some meds and very high premiums for malpractice insurance. 

Respected Contributor

Vet expenses (and the difficulty of getting appointments when we need them) are one of the reasons we've decided on no more pets after our two elderly cats and one 5 y/o dog cross the Bridge. 

The dog is on Apoquel, and will be for the rest of his life...that's $160+ monthly! Not to mention he's on a more expensvie brand of dog food because of his allergies.

One cat has upper respiratory issues, and its $200+ every time she flares up, which is 2-4 times per year. Plus, we often have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment, or take her to the ER vet if she gets really bad, which costs even more.

It's a struggle for many retired people--who actually have more time to give to pets, and need the companionship more--to pay these kinds of bills. 

I've seen this change just since we started using our current vet in 2010.

Honored Contributor

I did that all the time when I had two cats.  The key....start early with them.  I will add that one of my cats sat on my lap and acted like he was at a salon,handing me one paw at a time.  For the other cat....it would sometimes take me the entire day to catch him long enough to do a couple of claws at a time. And I always was careful to do mainly the tips.  Not too close to the 'quick".

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003    I had the same thing happen with Ruby one of her first few visits.  I agree.  As much money as we spend, you'd think that service could be provided at least for a discount.  I watched as it was done by a 20 year old vet tech.    I'm still afraid to trim her nails on my own.

I hate to say this, but vets and shelters wonder why it's so hard to get animals adopted.  Well, the cost of ownership plays the biggest part.  😔

Respected Contributor

@vermint I couldn't agree more.  We lost our two babies last year--one expected, one not--only 51 days apart.  It's been 5 months, and my heart is still so broken from losing them.  But as badly as I'm hurting, we're not getting any more pups, because of the expense, worry, and being tied down.