Respected Contributor

Re: Am I doing right by my old cat?

My DD has a yorkie (Granddog that I love) she brings him over because we have a bigger yard & many times my 2 cats don't seem to like him. We tried but not happening so we just shut the bedroom doors when he visits. He will be over here for Christmas (just a few hours) I place out his water & food bowls when he leaves the cats come out & eat whatever food is left in his bowl. If it's just for a few hours that works for us but if your son is staying for a few days I have no idea how to help you. My daughter has a vacation planned in Feb. for 5 days so I go over there to let the dog out & sometimes spend the night with the dog. I am retired and spend the night many times glad I have the time to do it. Hate to think the dog would have to go in a kennel, but sometimes we have no choice. 

Esteemed Contributor

Your cat is the pet of your home.  It is all she has known.  She deserves some peace in her senior years.  Cats, especially older ones, require routine to feel safe and secure.  Uprooting her uproots the security and well-being she feels in her own home.

Let the dogs have fun at the local dog spa and everyone wins.

Respected Contributor

I am an owner of multiple pets of different species.  I always board my dogs when I travel for longer than three days, and they are very used to the experience and like the vet and the staff. This has been my pattern for all my dogs over multiple decades. I try never to leave dogs at the vet for more than two weeks.

However, the dogs become quite bored, sometimes pick up respiratory infections, and sometimes come home a bit smelly and have to relearn timing for going outside. 

I also have multiple cats in my home. My oldest will be fifteen. I never board my cats unless they have an illness that requires daily medical care.  BUT, they are not only cats and have learned to coexist with other creatures, and are all very self-sufficient when I travel.

No one can really tell you if you are doing the "right thing." 

You have already made the decision to give the visiting dogs of your son the access to your home.

You already know your cat became extremely traumatized by the dog visitors, even though she was separated.  Perhaps this was because it was the first time she had ever encountered dogs. They were also invading her territory and she felt unprotected. She may be very sensitive and went into shock.

It appears that she has stayed in the spa before. Do you trust the quality of care? Will the cat be located in an area removed from the dogs, so the barking will not bother her or affect her eating? 

When she returns from the "spa," she will certainly smell the presence of the dogs everywhere in the house.  Hopefully that will not negatively affect her.

If you truly thought your cat would die from being in the spa and being away from you, then you would not even think of taking such an action.

Many folks on this forum are animal lovers and advocates and have provided their opinions.

We all trust that by saying you are boarding your cat for "her own good" really means you have her best interests at heart! 

Enjoy the visit with your son and his dogs, and I send my hopes for a healthy and happy spa experience for your cat.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat- You say you need someone to tell you you're doing the right thing.  The fact that you needed to ask that, already tells you you're not.

None of us know all the dynamics of the situation, but I agree with the majority here.  It's your cat's home, that she's known for 15 years.  If you board her at this "spa", I doubt she will spend the week in anything other than a small cage.  A miserable experience for her. 

Your son has two dogs that he (I assume) has the financial wherewithal to afford.  He should board the dogs at a place in your location while visiting you or stay in a hotel that accepts them.

Sorry, I would never board my cats to make room for someone else's animal.  This is their home.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

My heart breaks for you in wanting to do "the right thing".

But it's not clear to me if your son is aware of what happened last year re: your cat's issues and spending $1500 at the vet healing your cat?  If he is aware, I feel it's selfish on son's part to put you through this again.

If he's not aware, you need to tell him immediately.

If money is an issue, I would think splitting $1500 between you and son would possibly board the dogs for a week and/or have son stay in a pet friendly hotel during his stay.  Either way, you could be sure your BFF kitty would not be stressed.

My best wishes.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

I've not read all the responses, but it puzzles me that you need to be told what the "right" thing to do might be.  You almost lost your cat before, why are you even asking what's best?

For what it is worth, I would not allow anything to disrupt my cat's life in the way you describe.  She already had a bad experience, why would you subject her to this again.

In my opinion, sending her away is not the right thing.

The dogs would stay elsewhere or not come.

Period.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Just to clarify, it's a beautiful facility, attached to a veterinary clinic. Medical care is available.

The cats are boarded downstairs and the dogs are upstairs. Each cat kennel has three levels, with a "tree" that runs up the center of it. 

Last time I left her I brought her bed, a cozy familiar blanket, as well as what we call her "cave" and all her food was supplied by me.

I am not concerned that she will be well cared for physically.  The cat room includes a glass enclosed secluded area for visiting.  I don't know that I can get there every day to visit, but I certainly can do it three or four times during that week.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes when you have house guests pets and children are part of the deal. 

You didn't say how long your son will be visiting.  If you feel the cat will do well at the facility then that is a good option. If you had been going to visit him you would have used them for her.   If he will be there for awhile, perhaps have the option of taking her there for part of the visit or if it looks like she is not tolerating the dogs visit well.  Perhaps your son can take the dogs out for day trips so the cat can have the run of the house for awhile while they were out.  Hope it all works out well for you and you all have an enjoyable holiday.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@NickNack 

Just to clarify, it's a beautiful facility, attached to a veterinary clinic. Medical care is available.

The cats are boarded downstairs and the dogs are upstairs. Each cat kennel has three levels, with a "tree" that runs up the center of it. 

Last time I left her I brought her bed, a cozy familiar blanket, as well as what we call her "cave" and all her food was supplied by me.

I am not concerned that she will be well cared for physically.  The cat room includes a glass enclosed secluded area for visiting.  I don't know that I can get there every day to visit, but I certainly can do it three or four times during that week.

@house_cat   Then why are you asking if you are "doing right by my old cat"? IMHO, you are seeking justification for a choice you've already made.