Honored Contributor

Re: Am I doing right by my old cat?

@house_cat It's wrong. You think she freaked out before? You ain't seen nothin' yet when she comes home from a kennel.

Tell your son to hire a pet sitter. NO animal should be pushed out of its home for the convenience of someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Arizona and pet sitters are around $30.00. At least that is what mine charges. If he isn't willing to do something with the dogs is he prepared to pay for the expenses kitty may incur while being boarded?

Honored Contributor

I don't know if anyone else is having website issues, but I certainly am. If I disappear, that's the reason.

She's been to the "spa" a couple of times before, but never more than two nights at a time.

I don't have a choice about the dogs. They are the most well-behaved dogs I've ever been around. He tells them not to go upstairs and they don't even try. They don't bark and they love cats, but there's no explaining that to Gracie.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I live in Arizona and pet sitters are around $30.00. At least that is what mine charges. If he isn't willing to do something with the dogs is he prepared to pay for the expenses kitty may incur while being boarded?

He is traveling to Oregon, with the dogs. He won't be back for several weeks. Boarding the dogs in AZ is not an option.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I believe boarding her is absolutely going to stress her out. It's not fair to her at all. Is there anyone else living around you that could watch the dogs? Family or friends?

Again get him a hotel. You can go visit him there or anywhere. He can come to the house for a little while without the dogs.

Your son is an adult and should have no problems working around this.If you were my parent I'd never put you through this stuff. I love cats and dogs but if bringing my pets to my parents house could possibly stress out their cat close to death I wouldn't do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat   I think the dogs should be boarded.  I would never board a 14 year old cat.  If she stopped eating when the dogs were there she'll probably stop eating at the boarding facility, too.  Your son should board his dogs.  I don't understand why this wasn't the plan all along.  It's worth the extra expense to keep your cat healthy.  You'll never forgive yourself if your cat gets deathly ill again from being at the kennel.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

If this was my situation, I would have learned the last time with 2 large dogs that upset my aging constant companion!  I would put my foot down about dogs in the house since the cat will stay.  Either son has to leave dogs home and boarded or boarded while at your home.  Your aged cat has priority, not the dogs!  I learned years ago about my adult child leaving her dog at my house when dog not used to my home..not good for the dog, not good for me and the animals that live in my home...NO!

Respected Contributor

As a cat and dog Mom I have to agree about your son getting a hotel room that takes pets or making other arrangements.  It's not fair to your cat or you.  At that age their health can change very quickly.  A week of boarding is not a good idea. 

Honored Contributor

@

@house_cat wrote:

For one thing, it would cost more than twice as much to board the dogs, and money is a factor.  We have a small house, but we did keep her isolated last time. That didn't matter. She was so upset she didn't eat for days and her system started to shut down. It cost us $1500 to bring her back from the brink, but I'm afraid she wouldn't recover this time.  I think it's best that she's out of the house, but it's breaking my heart.

I don't understand.  If you spent $1,500 last year, would it cost that much to board 2 dogs for a week???  I don't have any pets, but it's the cats house.  Board the dogs.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Last year, my son came to visit with his two big dogs. They are very friendly and extremely well behaved, but my then 14 year old cat was so freaked out that she stopped eating and nearly died.

She's 15 now and they're coming for Christmas. We have an excellent boarding facility, "pet spa", in town and she'll be staying there for a week while the dogs are at my house.

We two old girls are BFFs and I'm already so sad about having to leave her. I know it's for her own good, but I'm afraid she'll die of a broken heart.

I need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing.