Trusted Contributor

Re: Am I doing right by my old cat?

Has she been to this place before? If not I wouldn't do that. I'd try to set up a space just for her and have the dogs in a separate space. If there's really no way to do that I'd ask your son to find a pet friendly hotel to stay in and help him pay for it if you can.

If he wants to bring the dogs around a little bit then you could put the cat in the bedroom for bit ahead of time with less probelms. Honestly my real recommendation would be for him to leave the dogs home and find a pet sitter or a good overnight place where they get playtime and stuff.

Honored Contributor

For one thing, it would cost more than twice as much to board the dogs, and money is a factor.  We have a small house, but we did keep her isolated last time. That didn't matter. She was so upset she didn't eat for days and her system started to shut down. It cost us $1500 to bring her back from the brink, but I'm afraid she wouldn't recover this time.  I think it's best that she's out of the house, but it's breaking my heart.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Board the dogs or keep them in one part of your home and your kitty far away in another part of the house. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry for double-posting.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the website for some reason.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Posts keep delaying and then posting two times-- a few minutes apart. Sorry.

Valued Contributor

If you want my honest opinion....I feel your son should board his dogs---- and your cat, who is a senior, should be able to stay in her own home where she is comfortable--the stress of being boarded could make her sick--there's no way of getting her to understand that she is not leaving her home forever.

Esteemed Contributor

How about your son keeps the dogs at home and gets a friend or hires a pet sitter to come and take care of them? Pet sitters are cheaper than boarding. I would not board a kitty that is that fragile. Kittys don't accept change to their routine. 

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

your son obviously is doing what's best for him...not what's best for you...sorry...jmo...

He is travelling from Arizona, on his way to Oregon.  

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

I agree that the dogs should be boarded, not the cat.  This is her home and she deserves to stay in it.  It is not fair to her.  This is just my opinion but I couldn't do it.