Honored Contributor

Re: Am I doing right by my old cat?

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@house_cat If you "need someone to tell me I am doing the right thing" you came to the wrong place.

What would your beloved cat say? Your son needs to figure out something other than this.

It is unfair to this cat. Now I am biting my tongue so I don't get banned.

You're right. I was looking for advice, but in particular I was hoping for the consensus to be that my plan is a sound one.  I'm not hurt by those who have told me it is not. I appreciate the candor.

It's difficult in this venue to explain every detail of my son's situation and the family dynamics which led to this decision.  All I will say is that I'm hoping to do what's in the best interest of my family and our pets. 

I'm sorry that my post has offended you so deeply that you would even consider posting a response worthy of censure from the moderators. I do find that hurtful.

Thanks to all who posted words of wisdom and advice.

Have a happy, healthy holiday season.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I would hope that my son would make alternate arrangements for his pets, if he was aware of how much trauma he had caused to my old cat (not to mention the financial aspect of $1500 vet bill).

Respected Contributor

are you going to go to the cat spa every day to visit her.   I would make the dogs stay outside.   I agree she could die of a broken heart.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

I am sorry, as I know this is a worry to you, and a  stress for your holiday plans.

My belief is that People have options, can voice them, and make alternative plans for themselves.  Animals can not.  That said, I always try to do my best to speak for them.

I just could not send my dear ol’ friend away from her safe place, knowing her health is frail, and that she has no choices.  If she went into another decline, or picked up something from another animal, you would be beside yourself.  

You are trying to do the best for everyone I know,  but honestly no, taking her away from home, with the accompanying risks is not something I could do.

Best Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid I am going to have to agree with those who say that the dogs need to be boarded not the cat.    Speaking as someone who worked for years in the veterinary profession I have to say that many cats do not do well in a boarding situation.   I would be concerned about a senior cat.   

Many boarding kennels are not equipped to deal with a cat who is stressed and goes off of their food.   It doesn't take very long for a senior cat who isn't eating to develop liver problems and it goes downhill from there.

If you have no other choice but to board can you keep him at your veterinary hospital.  That way they would be able to monitor him and force feed him if necessary before he starts to have problems.     Dogs don't seem to have the same problems.  Even if they are initially stressed they usually go back to eating within just a short time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.   I know you are being placed in a difficult situation.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat It was never my intention to hurt you, truly. I am just very passionate about cats and dogs.

I was not "deeply offended."

You are right, none of us knows your particular family situation.

As someone suggested perhaps some anti-anxiety meds from the vet will help your kitty.

I wish you well.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I'm afraid I am going to have to agree with those who say that the dogs need to be boarded not the cat.    Speaking as someone who worked for years in the veterinary profession I have to say that many cats do not do well in a boarding situation.   I would be concerned about a senior cat.   

Many boarding kennels are not equipped to deal with a cat who is stressed and goes off of their food.   It doesn't take very long for a senior cat who isn't eating to develop liver problems and it goes downhill from there.

If you have no other choice but to board can you keep him at your veterinary hospital.  That way they would be able to monitor him and force feed him if necessary before he starts to have problems.     Dogs don't seem to have the same problems.  Even if they are initially stressed they usually go back to eating within just a short time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.   I know you are being placed in a difficult situation.

@house_cat   I posted earlier that I thought your son should board his dogs.  I fear for the health of your cat.  If there is no scenario where you could board the dogs, though, I agree with @J Town Girl  that the cat should be boarded at the Vet's.  They can watch her or him and give fluids and/or force feed food if necessary.  I am truly very worried about your cat being boarded.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

You have an elderly cat.  Your son has two dogs.  It is his responsibility to make arrangements for the dogs that will not interfere with you or your cat.  Why is this your and your cat's issue?  

To me, your son should be the one worrying about this, not you. 

Respected Contributor

It doesn't matter how "well behaved" the dogs are. It's the cat's house and she's traumatized severely by their presence. I don't understand how anyone with a cat, after the prior experience, would subject the animal to another round of dislocation. It's really unfair and wrong to treat an animal like this.

If your son insists on bringing animals, he needs to board them. You can spend the money you'd have to pay for emergency care for the cat on the fee if he can't do it.

But maybe instead of asking us, you need to ask yourself this: If you did board the Gracie and she became sick because she picked up illnesses that will be present in the kennel, or just from the huge stress of it all, how would you feel about your decision to make things easy for your son at the expense of this defenseless old girl? How would you feel about hosting your son and the dogs again?

And please stop telling yourself "it's for her own good," because it's not. It's for your son's convenience, and it's wrong to do this to Gracie.

Contributor

I wouldn't force my 15 year old cat to stay at a kennel for a week. They won't understand what is going on and will stress them out. When you drop her off, I hope you're prepared to say goodbye for the final time.