Respected Contributor

Am I being PARANOID?

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I got an email from the rescue where I adopted my dog asking for a donation.  Given that it's Christmas, of course, I made a donation.

Anyway, after I made my donation, I clicked the website and began perusing pics of adoptable dogs (lately, one of my pasttimes LOL!) and there was "Bucket" (made up name, so as not to call him out).

The caption said, "Bucket needs to find a furever home soon" .... Uh?  OMG!  I freaked out!   "needs to find a home soon" .. or, what?  or else?  OMG!  Noooo!

I immediately emailed the rescue and told them I'd come to pick up the dog.  As many of you know, my Lab died in July and I got another dog in August.  What I never posted was that the two dogs I originally went to see/adopt, were not at the rescue the day I went there.  The dog I have now, is not the dog I'd intended to adopt. 

So, what I'm saying is, one of the dogs I went to see is still on the website.  He's been there since the summer.  This is highly unusual.   I burst into tears when I saw his picture.

I don't know .... am I being paranoid?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Am I being PARANOID?

[ Edited ]

Paranoid?  maybe a little.  But look at it another way.  Here's my story.

I adopted a rescue in January 2014.  He was 2 years old and not even remotely close to what I wanted. He had been abused and neglected for his first two years.  He didn't even know how to eat or drink out of a bowl.   He was so afraid and wouldn't come out of the (large) kennel so I crawled in to get closer.  He was shaking so much that he could barely stand.  I sat there and took him into my arms.  But he wasn't the kind of dog I wanted.  I left.  A few hours later, I went back with my brother and took him home.  I debated for months whether or not I would keep him.  There was just a little something in the back of my head that said he wasn't the kind of dog I really wanted.

It's been nearly 2 years and he is safe, happy and thriving.  He'll never totally recover from the abuse but he knows he's loved and safe now.  I can't imagine being without him. I will never be the same.

Super Contributor

You got the dog that needed you!!! Please don't think that your doggie is a consolation prize, because I'm sure that you are the world to him! Peace and love!

Honored Contributor

Could also be that someone adopted him and already returned the poor thing.  Be very careful when you examine that dog please. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

Could also be that someone adopted him and already returned the poor thing.  Be very careful when you examine that dog please. 

===========

Bingo!

According to the current ad, he WAS adopted.  Apparently, several times -- and returned.  

Now his description says "special needs" and he has .. "issues".

(shaking my head, sighing)

I clearly remember the original ad stating he came from a hoarding situation.  That was back in August.  He's also a "senior" dog.  I suppose what made me tear up was seeing that little white face (senior), and remembering my own senior dog.  I have 3 pictures of her on my desk.  She had a horrible death.  I don't want it to happen to this dog.

I hope the dog wasn't injured and perhaps the rescue place doesn't know it. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I'm on my way to the rescue place.  Will report back later.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, I'm reporting back.  I misspoke.   No more tears. 

He's a little ornery.  LOL!

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Yesterday, I got an email from the rescue where I adopted my dog asking for a donation.  Given that it's Christmas, of course, I made a donation.

Anyway, after I made my donation, I clicked the website and began perusing pics of adoptable dogs (lately, one of my pasttimes LOL!) and there was "Bucket" (made up name, so as not to call him out).

The caption said, "Bucket needs to find a furever home soon" .... Uh?  OMG!  I freaked out!   "needs to find a home soon" .. or, what?  or else?  OMG!  Noooo!

I immediately emailed the rescue and told them I'd come to pick up the dog.  As many of you know, my Lab died in July and I got another dog in August.  What I never posted was that the two dogs I originally went to see/adopt, were not at the rescue the day I went there.  The dog I have now, is not the dog I'd intended to adopt. 

So, what I'm saying is, one of the dogs I went to see is still on the website.  He's been there since the summer.  This is highly unusual.   I burst into tears when I saw his picture.

I don't know .... am I being paranoid?

@RinaRina  Aren't you the same person who was so worried about what was going to happen with your current dog when you had to have some surgery or something and needed time to recuperate afterward, and you weren't sure how the dog would be cared for?  If not, I'm sorry.  But if you are that same person, what in the world are you doing, considering adding another dog at this time?  Sad as it is, you can't save every dog out there.  Unfortunately, some will get put down.  But we all have to think clearly and make wise choices when it comes to adopting a pet and sometimes the best decision is "no, not right now".  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ JLF,

Yes, that was me.  I spent weeks trying to figure out what I'd do with my dog while I was in the hospital and after going thru all my options, decided boarding would be best.  So, I'd already decided that both dogs would've been boarded -- in the same cage.*

But after meeting the dog today, I knew immediately it was a "no-go".

Thanks.

Edit-

I misspoke again. I shouldn't have said "cage". *

The place I chose to board my dog is called a "retreat" and the dog will have his own suite/condo.