Frequent Contributor

Alvin the Chipmunk - Any Suggestions on How to Get Rid of Him?

Hello.  I am wondering if anyone has ever had a chipmunk take up residence in their garage and how you politely encouraged it to move elsewhere? 

I believe Alvin has been living in our garage for quite some time.  It is cold now and he really enjoys the garage a lot.  It really doesn't bother me - he only seems to be eatting the birdfood.  Some how he has managed to get the lid off the containers and get in and out of it and we keep putting the lid back on.

It appears he has made himself a home under the stairs coming into the house from the garage.  My fear is he will decide it's too cold in the garage and decide to venture inside.  Then it will be real mess because the dog will get him I am sure.  

Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Alvin the Chipmunk - Any Suggestions on How to Get Rid of Him?

They are hard to get rid of.

First, you can put out moth balls.

I bought moth balls to keep mice out of my garage.

The moth balls are in a net, so it's easy to handle, rather than loose.

Find out how Alvin's getting in & block it up.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Alvin is not going to hurt anything and its doubtful he will move inside since he has a supply of birdfood to eat.  Let Alvin stay the winter and then remove your birdfeed in the spring and he will leave.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Chipmunks love peanuts in the shell.  They will take them and scurry back to their "home" to store them.  I've seen chipmunks take the peanut and run back to their hole in the ground many times and go back and forth till all the peanuts are gone.  Perhaps you can lure your chipmunk out of the garage that way.   But I agree, you need to find out where it's getting through and block it off.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

Yes as a matter of fact we did. My family lived in Houston at the time and my dad caught it and caged it in the garage.  It lived in a rollaway bed we stored in the garage.

We named him Chippy and our uncle built him a cage.

I don’t remember much from that time period but we had to give him away when we moved to Oklahoma in 65.

That was was fine because I had a kitten named Ginger and he was getting to move with us.  I thought Ginger was a she until the Vet convinced me otherwise.

Memories I hadn’t thought about for a very long time.

Esteemed Contributor

Just hope Alvin does not invite some friends or start a family.  They are avid diggers and tunnelers. They can and will distroy landscaping and comprimise foundations. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Fatboy our squirrel 'friend' was hanging in our garage eating his way into the plastic garbage can DH has the suet & bird seed in. Couple of weeks ago DH went into the garage to go to work (very early AM) and there he was, Fatboy chewing yet another hole in the lid staring back at DH.

Long story short, plastic can gone, new metal one with lid that won't come off in.

Fatboy now just waits for the new suet cake to go into the container and he helps himself hangin upside down until the flock of birds enter the picture. Up the chain he scurries hops to the nearby holly tree and away.

At least he's not in the warm garage anymore.

Honored Contributor

If you replace your bird seed containers with something he can't get in he would probably leave.  I use large airtight storage containers with hooks on the sides similar to this.  They have them at Target and Walmart as well as Amazon.  I think mine are made by Rubbermaid.  This is just the first picture I found.

41EJGDjE6uL.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

we have squirrels all over the place here.  they come from too much building here.  we have taken their truff and so they moved to where ever they  can find food.

it is fun to watch them  kirby,my dog) likes to tease them.  they sit in a tree and look at him and he tries to figure out why they are in the tree

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the advice. We have searched and searched for the hole to plug and found nothing. I’m thinking he strolled in one day when DH was mowing the lawn. I actually think he gets a kick out of making my daughter scream. He squeals right back at her every time. We’re going to relocate the bird food. But I’m not sure he wants to leave the warmth for the cold outside. Thanks again.