Respected Contributor

Re: Alternative to doggie steps

[ Edited ]

Have you cosidered adding a supplement to aid in mobility?  We bought steps for our small Boston; we have one set for our bed and one set for the sofa.  At the same time, we added Cosequin Professional DS Joint Heath Supplemnt Plus MSM and Boswellia chews.  OMG...what a difference in her!  She still uses the bedroom steps as the bed is high, but she now rarely uses the living room steps--just bounds right up on the sofa, our chairs, everything!  She wasn't bad by any means, but these chews have almost reversed the decline that we were seeing.  You can get them on Amazon.  She is only 14 pounds, so we give her a half of one, one time a day.  She loves them!

Esteemed Contributor

I see they make ramps in various widths and sizes for dogs. I think that would be a bit easier than the steps. I always have GSD's and as they age it's difficult to get them in and out of the car. (Usually, they are too heavy for me to lift by the time they are one.)

For items around the house, what do you think about one of those Kirkland stepping stools? They come in various heights and have the grips on the feet and the steps. They are reasonable in price and could be used elsewhere in the home. 

Respected Contributor

In the BBB flyer today there is a convertible pet step/ramp.  You can flip it over to get the ramp or stairs.  It's pawslife brand.

Respected Contributor

how about something that sloaps up so its an easy walk. like a ramp for humans lol

Respected Contributor

I went though many doggie steps before I decided to spend some money and get some good steps. I got them on Amazon, they are handmade with wide steps and rug covering the steps. Also the steps convert into a ramp. I have had them now at least 7 years and they are still going strong. My 3 Shelties use them all of the time. They were expensive though around $150 but then are great and will last me probably as long as I am able to have dogs. 

Honored Contributor

@conltwrote:

I went though many doggie steps before I decided to spend some money and get some good steps. I got them on Amazon, they are handmade with wide steps and rug covering the steps. Also the steps convert into a ramp. I have had them now at least 7 years and they are still going strong. My 3 Shelties use them all of the time. They were expensive though around $150 but then are great and will last me probably as long as I am able to have dogs. 

@conlt  I just searched Amazon and can't find these.  Can you let me know the exact name of them?  I know we can't post links, but if you could let me know the exact name I can search for them.  Thank you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@geegerbee

All my small dogs used a ramp very much like this (only mine isn't as pretty so I cover it with towels and dog blankets).

I put mine at the foot of the bed.  

None of them ever liked any of the cute steps I tried in the past.  But they all took to the ramp.

And I've always allowed them access to furniture.  They're small plus they're pretty clean.  If I had a dog who was a digger, that might be different.

Image result for dog ramp

@GingerPeachwhere did you get that ramp?  I have to boost my baby into the bed and this would work for us, I think.

Honored Contributor

Hi @eddyandme

That ramp is just from the internet (it says it's Royal Ramps pet ramp).  I noticed that amazon has it.

However, mine isn't that.  Mine is black and covered with some sort of nylon-type fabric.  I got mine about 20 years ago but I don't recall where.  Mine is two parts like that, though, but it cost a whole lot less.

I found a Pet Gear Step and Ramp combo at amazon that costs a lot less.  It's in one part, but you may want to push something else next to it to make the flat portion a larger area.

I actually don't use the upper flat portion of mine because I already had a fabric-covered backless bench/seat that is just a few inches above the topmost part of the slanted part of the ramp.  I cover both with either towels or baby/doggy blankets that I can wash.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, @GingerPeach, I'm gonna look online!

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandmewrote:

Thanx, @GingerPeach, I'm gonna look online!

@GingerPeach. I had no idea how expensive!!!  Guess I'll keep looking!  Right now, Eddy stands on th Bean bed I had purchased for Jade and put his arms up on the bed, then I lift his hind end - he can't push up.  It works for us, but the bean bed is huge and takes up too much room in our bedrm. So, I'll look for something that'l giv him the little height needed and continue to boos him up.  But, thank you so much for your help.