Trusted Contributor

I have a pug who is getting older and has trouble getting onto a chair. I tried doggie steps, but she didn't use them and they were in the way when she wanted to get down. I bought a step for humans to use to enter the bathtub, but it arrived broken and I don't think it was high enough. I was thinking of a box, but that might not allow her nails to grip onto the box top.  I am wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or any home-made contraptions that might work.

Respected Contributor

Re: Alternative to doggie steps

Can she jump a little? We have an ottoman at the end of the bed so our dog can jump there first, then onto the bed. I wish he would jump down that way, but he jumps straight down. Probably not too good for the shoulders.

Esteemed Contributor

None of ours would walk up the doggie steps.  We have a bench at the foot of our bed that Darcy would always jump on to get onto the bed.  Happy refuses to even try and has to be lifted. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used an ottoman for my 20 year old cat that had arthritis. She used it for both getting on and off the bed. She seemed to know that was why it was there right from the time I placed it there. I put a blanket on it so she would have something to grip to when she used it. Just a suggestion. I told you about my cat because she was short like a pug. She didn't have long legs like another breed.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

A few ideas:

1.  You might try placing the steps so they are parallel (flush against the bed) vs. perpendicular.  This always gave our pets more security when going up.

2.  Try a child's table or a low table that's sturdy with a carpet with rubber backing on top for stability.

3.  Build like a handicapped ramp (DH did once for ours) with carpet on it.

4.  The small ottoman or footstool idea.

5.  Call me crazy, but some types of simple cat furniture are lower, more stable and carpeted...sort of like a "platform" for your pug to get up on the bed.

Hope any of these help!

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee  Get a doggie ramp so she can just walk a slight incline to get up.   

Esteemed Contributor

Our dogs were never allowed on the furniture............problem solved.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee

All my small dogs used a ramp very much like this (only mine isn't as pretty so I cover it with towels and dog blankets).

I put mine at the foot of the bed.  

None of them ever liked any of the cute steps I tried in the past.  But they all took to the ramp.

And I've always allowed them access to furniture.  They're small plus they're pretty clean.  If I had a dog who was a digger, that might be different.

Image result for dog ramp

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I have used ramps for dogs to get up on the bed.  They work well.  I had a dog that wouldn't use steps but would use the ramp.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

I have 4 senior pugs.  2 in wheelchairs (back end paralysis with old age) and 2 that are pretty weak in the back end. Try getting an inexpensive yoga mat and cutting a piece and gluing it on top. It makes a great grip without the nails getting stuck. Best if you can glue it over 3 sides of the box. I actually got a large 100 foot roll of yoga mat and all of our hard wood floors are covered in it. Makes it easy for the wheelies to get around in their chairs and grip with their front legs.  And also for the other 2 to get around the house easier. Bonus...they are super easy to wipe down with a sponge or mop on.