Esteemed Contributor

We had 2 cats, they would come in and go out and honestly usually do their business outside, when I was walking the dogs- they go out with me. They have a litter box, but very seldom use it, and I very seldom buy cat litter. I do not remember what brand I had bought the last time. But it didn't have a strong scent. 

Thanksgiving, we found a kitten in the road. It was hurt, and very wormy, as well as being half froze. The vet said it was about 5 weeks old. I am not letting him out of my sight for a while 

Fresh Step clean paws is what is trying to kill me. Do you guys have any recommendations on what is not so scented?

Also, I saw where there is some that is unscented. Does that work? I don't want the house to stink. 

TIA

Honored Contributor

I always bought unscented litter and had no problems with smells in the house but I did scoop frequently and changed the litter weekly and would add new as needed during the week.  Right now I have to use "Cat Attract" litter, which is expensive but its all my cat will tolerate.  Otherwise he won't use the box and goes elsewhere in the house.  Anyway, there are some good unscented litters out there that should be just fine.  

Honored Contributor

Wear a facial mask.

I only use Fresh Step Fabreeze.  I wear a mask when I change the litter once a month. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

@happycatWe buy Arm and Hammer Cloud Control. 

Esteemed Contributor

Try any brand unscented and dust free. And as the other poster said, scoop frequently.  We scoop daily (we use a litter genie, too....kind of like a diaper pail for cats stays in the room with the box and doesn't make frequent scooping such a chore. We empty that thing once a week). Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I use Fresh Step clumping unscented litter, there are 3 of them at the pet store I go to...Simply Unscented, Free & Gentle Unscented & Ultra Free & Gentle Unscented. My cat sneezes if the litter has scent.

Respected Contributor

thank you for saving this poor helpless creature ....

Respected Contributor

Keep us posted on his recovery

Honored Contributor

Re: Allergic to cat litter

[ Edited ]

@happycat   I used Fresh Step Unscented and now use Tidy Cats Unscented because it is less expensive.  Both of them work.  I have never used scented litter in all the years I've had cats, and my litter box does not smell bad.  I do scoop it every day.  Cats don't like scented litter according to my Vet and articles that I've read.

Thank you for rescuing the kitten.  Please keep it inside for the rest of its life.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau