Esteemed Contributor

Re: All I did was just take out the trash..........

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

So glad to hear you can keep Wolfgang!  And, you're feeding him well.  Just don't give him mushrooms 'cause they can be harmful to most dogs.  I'm feeding my babygirl "people" food now - kindof doing Chinese medicine thing.  And the doc told me mushrooms are a no-no.  But, we're doing broccoli, corn, carrots, cabbage, et al.  Lots of fresh veggies and fish, meat, poultry and cheese is good for them, but, the vet can advise you on the best puppy food with the necessary nutrients.  Can you keep him in the garage while at work?  Sounds like the little guy should be protected from wild animals/.snakes until he gets bigger.  He may not seem like a watchdog right now, but believe me, he picked you to be his mommy:  to him, you are his whole life; as he adapts, he will protect you!  Wishing, hoping and praying that you and Wolfgang have a happy lifetime togetherHeart!

@eddyandme  I'm sure you probably already know this, but in addition to the mushrooms being a no-no, other fuits and veggies that are toxic for dogs are:

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch  Wow, JLF,  I have fed everyone of these things to my dogs over the years and never had a problem. (maybe not lemon)  Obviously not in large quantities, but as treats, etc.  I cook for my dog.  He has never had "dog food".   I would love to find a dog food that I felt was healthy and nutritious.  To be honest, I quit looking a long time ago because I couln't find one.

@tends2dogs  I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just going by what I've read.  I know someone who used to give her Schnauzer frozen grapes as a potty reward.  Back then, I didn't know it was bad for them and she probably didn't either.  And I have another friend whose dog found half of a leftover lasagna, scarfed down every last bit, and he was fine.  My dog has helped himself to a stick of butter a couple of times and was fine, even though I wasn't.  Maybe in small amounts nothing will happen if these foods are given, depending on the ratio of the amount of the food item to the size of the dog.  For me, though, I figure it's not difficutl to avoid them and be safe rather than sorry since there are plenty of other vegetable and fruit treats to give - carrots, green beans, pieces of melon, apples, pears, peaches, certain berries, etc.  

@JeanLouiseFinch  I hope you didn't take offense at my post!  I wasn't questioning your post at all.  The list of "okay" fruits and vegetables have also been given to my dogs.  Carrots, green beans, and apples are everyday foods around here.  Again, I hope no offense was taken.  We are all here because we love our pets!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf ... I love reading the posts about Wolfgang.  He is one lucky puppy having been readily adopted by you.  Wolfgang knew just where to come to find his forever home after being discarded by those jerks. 

Just wondering.  Are you a fan of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the composer? 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf

First let me say, I would like to knock the chit out of the idiot who tossed the puppy out of the car.

There, now that I got that off my chest, a higher power is at work here. 

Don't ask me how I know, I just know.  You may not have thought you were ready and a higher power knew different.

Many congratulations to you on the arrival of Wolfgang. 

For what's it worth, I think a gas chamber still exists for Animal Control in Detroit.  I grew up there which is why we never called the dog catchers and got involved with the Humane Society and Anti Cruelty Society. It's not just a rural thing sweetie.

I am so excited for you Forrestwolf

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf

Right now, Wolfgang is a baby that was just pitched out of a moving vehicle.  My last dog Max found me in an alley.  I never went looking for them either - all of my birds landed up on my patio or doorstep - no joke.  I say the Lord hand delivers them to me when he wants me to have them.

Once Wolfgang really settles in to your pack, I believe you will see more protective behavior out of him.

My dog Max was the biggest baby, but neighbors never knew it.  He was a boxer/shepherd and sounded like a wild beast when he barked.  Neighbors would ask me how I got my dog to be such a good watch dog.

I did it by making sure Max knew the sun rose and set upon him.  He wanted for nothing, was included in everything and lived a better life than many children in the city.   

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

forrestwolf:  I truly believe that finding this little dog is a special sign for you.  Many years ago I was living in NY and was persuaded to take in a tiny kitten a friend had found on the street.  Now there I was, already making plans to move to the West Coast and I really did not want a cat right then, but I couldn't resist this tiny, skinny little scrap, so I took him and brought him with me.  Although I have had other cats since then and I have loved them all, he was without doubt my very special boy and I loved him totally (and still do).  He was such a character and he made me laugh so much.  He died from cancer when he was 12 years old, and I still want to cry when I think about him.  However, his happy character helped me through some bad times and I have no doubt he was sent to me for a reason.  So, please don't be concerned about adopting your new baby.  Of course, he never will replace your beloved Savannah, but he obviously needs you so just go with it, and love him unconditionally.  Please let us know how this all turns out.   My very best wishes to you both.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

So glad to hear you can keep Wolfgang!  And, you're feeding him well.  Just don't give him mushrooms 'cause they can be harmful to most dogs.  I'm feeding my babygirl "people" food now - kindof doing Chinese medicine thing.  And the doc told me mushrooms are a no-no.  But, we're doing broccoli, corn, carrots, cabbage, et al.  Lots of fresh veggies and fish, meat, poultry and cheese is good for them, but, the vet can advise you on the best puppy food with the necessary nutrients.  Can you keep him in the garage while at work?  Sounds like the little guy should be protected from wild animals/.snakes until he gets bigger.  He may not seem like a watchdog right now, but believe me, he picked you to be his mommy:  to him, you are his whole life; as he adapts, he will protect you!  Wishing, hoping and praying that you and Wolfgang have a happy lifetime togetherHeart!

@eddyandme  I'm sure you probably already know this, but in addition to the mushrooms being a no-no, other fuits and veggies that are toxic for dogs are:

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch  Wow, JLF,  I have fed everyone of these things to my dogs over the years and never had a problem. (maybe not lemon)  Obviously not in large quantities, but as treats, etc.  I cook for my dog.  He has never had "dog food".   I would love to find a dog food that I felt was healthy and nutritious.  To be honest, I quit looking a long time ago because I couln't find one.

@tends2dogs  I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just going by what I've read.  I know someone who used to give her Schnauzer frozen grapes as a potty reward.  Back then, I didn't know it was bad for them and she probably didn't either.  And I have another friend whose dog found half of a leftover lasagna, scarfed down every last bit, and he was fine.  My dog has helped himself to a stick of butter a couple of times and was fine, even though I wasn't.  Maybe in small amounts nothing will happen if these foods are given, depending on the ratio of the amount of the food item to the size of the dog.  For me, though, I figure it's not difficutl to avoid them and be safe rather than sorry since there are plenty of other vegetable and fruit treats to give - carrots, green beans, pieces of melon, apples, pears, peaches, certain berries, etc.  

@JeanLouiseFinch  I hope you didn't take offense at my post!  I wasn't questioning your post at all.  The list of "okay" fruits and vegetables have also been given to my dogs.  Carrots, green beans, and apples are everyday foods around here.  Again, I hope no offense was taken.  We are all here because we love our pets!

@tends2dogs  No, none taken at all.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch  Wow, JLF,  I have fed everyone of these things to my dogs over the years and never had a problem. (maybe not lemon)  Obviously not in large quantities, but as treats, etc.  I cook for my dog.  He has never had "dog food".   I would love to find a dog food that I felt was healthy and nutritious.  To be honest, I quit looking a long time ago because I couldn't find one.

Please please read the following articles. It explains why not to feed these particular foods. Many of these foods may not cause problems immediately but will accumulate in the body.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/surprising-foods-you-should-never-feed-to-dogs-or-cats/

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze  Thanks for the articles.  It did say that avacadoes are not toxic to dogs, but to other pets.  There was no mention of tomatoes and some of the others mentioned in other posts.  I knew about onions and garlic.  I haven't had a problem with feeding some of the other things posted, but then again, I said they were given in small quantities. 

I do appreciate the articles.  I would never want to do harm to my babe.  Other than DH and DD, he is the love of my life!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@HappyDaze  Thanks for the articles.  It did say that avacadoes are not toxic to dogs, but to other pets.  There was no mention of tomatoes and some of the others mentioned in other posts.  I knew about onions and garlic.  I haven't had a problem with feeding some of the other things posted, but then again, I said they were given in small quantities. 

I do appreciate the articles.  I would never want to do harm to my babe.  Other than DH and DD, he is the love of my life!

I agree, there were some mentioned I had never heard of either, like tomatoes. My dogs have eaten and enjoyed an occasional grape tomato and vet has no problems with them. Perhaps posters will share what legitimate site they used for that information. My MIL fed her last dog peanut m&ms alot. Made me cringe because chocolate is so toxic. She has also given her newest dog a whole raw onion because he ate it all and they thought it was funny. I also know she has given them grapes and raisins too. I warn her about all this but she thinks I'm ridiculous with my pets and shrugs me off. Makes me sad for those poor pets.

Esteemed Contributor

Bless your sweet heart and the doggy's too. I would adopt him but, go thought the right channels make sure no one is looking for him and then if no one is. have him checked out by a vet and get him microchip .. Good luck! and when you have a chance please update.