Honored Contributor

Re: All I did was just take out the trash..........

Consider me sending you all the hearts and kisses and hugs. (Don't put yourself at physical risk, you do know best there.) But thank you, in puppy talk. If you can handle it, I think he's your little guardian pup.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

So glad to hear you can keep Wolfgang!  And, you're feeding him well.  Just don't give him mushrooms 'cause they can be harmful to most dogs.  I'm feeding my babygirl "people" food now - kindof doing Chinese medicine thing.  And the doc told me mushrooms are a no-no.  But, we're doing broccoli, corn, carrots, cabbage, et al.  Lots of fresh veggies and fish, meat, poultry and cheese is good for them, but, the vet can advise you on the best puppy food with the necessary nutrients.  Can you keep him in the garage while at work?  Sounds like the little guy should be protected from wild animals/.snakes until he gets bigger.  He may not seem like a watchdog right now, but believe me, he picked you to be his mommy:  to him, you are his whole life; as he adapts, he will protect you!  Wishing, hoping and praying that you and Wolfgang have a happy lifetime togetherHeart!

@eddyandme  I'm sure you probably already know this, but in addition to the mushrooms being a no-no, other fuits and veggies that are toxic for dogs are:

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"ALL I DID WAS JUST TAKE OUT THE TRASH"  Looks to me like you came in with a wonderful treasure....lucky you!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@VILLAGE SMITHY, to change your pic from female to male, do the following:

Go to My Settings, select.

When the screen changes, under the gray banner near the top of the page will be the word Avatars. Select this.

You will see the gray male and female likenesses. Select the male to change. Or, you can insert your own personal one. Hope this helps! Woman Happy

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@forrestwolf, so happy for you that Love found a way! In a world full of bad news, this happy little tale of a wagging tail brought joy to my day. Hope you will be able to post a pic of your new furbaby, we would love to see the little guy who walked into your life. Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

So glad to hear you can keep Wolfgang!  And, you're feeding him well.  Just don't give him mushrooms 'cause they can be harmful to most dogs.  I'm feeding my babygirl "people" food now - kindof doing Chinese medicine thing.  And the doc told me mushrooms are a no-no.  But, we're doing broccoli, corn, carrots, cabbage, et al.  Lots of fresh veggies and fish, meat, poultry and cheese is good for them, but, the vet can advise you on the best puppy food with the necessary nutrients.  Can you keep him in the garage while at work?  Sounds like the little guy should be protected from wild animals/.snakes until he gets bigger.  He may not seem like a watchdog right now, but believe me, he picked you to be his mommy:  to him, you are his whole life; as he adapts, he will protect you!  Wishing, hoping and praying that you and Wolfgang have a happy lifetime togetherHeart!

@eddyandme  I'm sure you probably already know this, but in addition to the mushrooms being a no-no, other fuits and veggies that are toxic for dogs are:

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch  Wow, JLF,  I have fed everyone of these things to my dogs over the years and never had a problem. (maybe not lemon)  Obviously not in large quantities, but as treats, etc.  I cook for my dog.  He has never had "dog food".   I would love to find a dog food that I felt was healthy and nutritious.  To be honest, I quit looking a long time ago because I couldn't find one.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@forrestwolf  Congratulations on the addition to your household and to your heart.  Embrace this!  I guess I try to find the good in things that happen.  The fact that people dumped off this dog is terrible, but they could have done something MUCH worse to him. 

Not only is this dog a blessing to you, BUT you are a huge blessing to Wolfgang.  Give thanks for this new focus in your life.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch  Wow, JLF,  I have fed everyone of these things to my dogs over the years and never had a problem. (maybe not lemon)  Obviously not in large quantities, but as treats, etc.  I cook for my dog.  He has never had "dog food".   I would love to find a dog food that I felt was healthy and nutritious.  To be honest, I quit looking a long time ago because I couln't find one.

@tends2dogs, you've been very lucky.  These foods can kill dogs.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch

Thanx!  I got the list from Banfield (choc, nuts, coffee, tea, beer/wine, too).  But. thanx for posting this - helpful to all!  Only mentioned mushrooms 'cause she had fed Wolfgang some and the Doc brought over some special Chinese mushroom liquid med for Jade and I questionned it and was told no other mushrooms can be given to dogs.  But your listing bad food items is a very helpful reminder to us all I think.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@forrestwolf

Tomatoes
Avocados
Garlic 

Onions 

Grapes 

Raisins
Lemons
Grapefruit
Seeds & Pits

@JeanLouiseFinch  Wow, JLF,  I have fed everyone of these things to my dogs over the years and never had a problem. (maybe not lemon)  Obviously not in large quantities, but as treats, etc.  I cook for my dog.  He has never had "dog food".   I would love to find a dog food that I felt was healthy and nutritious.  To be honest, I quit looking a long time ago because I couln't find one.

@tends2dogs  I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just going by what I've read.  I know someone who used to give her Schnauzer frozen grapes as a potty reward.  Back then, I didn't know it was bad for them and she probably didn't either.  And I have another friend whose dog found half of a leftover lasagna, scarfed down every last bit, and he was fine.  My dog has helped himself to a stick of butter a couple of times and was fine, even though I wasn't.  Maybe in small amounts nothing will happen if these foods are given, depending on the ratio of the amount of the food item to the size of the dog.  For me, though, I figure it's not difficutl to avoid them and be safe rather than sorry since there are plenty of other vegetable and fruit treats to give - carrots, green beans, pieces of melon, apples, pears, peaches, certain berries, etc.