Trusted Contributor

I am curious.  Do any of you Pet Lovers know anything about

Akbash dogs?

I've done a little basic research, and I know they are originally from Turkey.  I also know they are livestock protectors. 

I found a dog that is an Akbash mixed with Lab (apparently) in

rescue.  He is really a nice looking, apparently sweet dog.

But in some of the research, I've heard the Akbash are less "pets"

and more guardian (of livestock) dogs

Any first-hand knowledge you can share would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Perhap they're something like the Great Pyranees?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

I am curious.  Do any of you Pet Lovers know anything about

Akbash dogs?

I've done a little basic research, and I know they are originally from Turkey.  I also know they are livestock protectors. 

I found a dog that is an Akbash mixed with Lab (apparently) in

rescue.  He is really a nice looking, apparently sweet dog.

But in some of the research, I've heard the Akbash are less "pets"

and more guardian (of livestock) dogs

Any first-hand knowledge you can share would be appreciated.

No experience with Akbash dogs specifically however I do with other livestock dogs,  Generally they do not make great pets.  They can be very protective (will kill threats), need lots of room to roam and are difficult to train house manners.  That being said all dogs are different and if you have the room and time to work with him it may work out.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I would suspect it's dependent on how the dog was raised.  Breeders who are raising puppies as livestock guardians keep the litter in the barn, and move them in with livestock in controlled situations as soon as the litter is old enough, after weaning.  The puppies never bond with humans, they bond with livestock.  If they are raised in a home environment and bond with humans, they never make good stock guardians because they don't care about the livestock, they just want to come back to the house to be with their people.

So if this mixed-breed dog you are interested in was raised in the house (by far the most likely case!) then they are bonded to humans and odds are they will be a good pet.  I can't say for sure, of course, since I'm not there to evaluate the dog in person, but my bet is that this dog was raised to be a human pet, not a livestock guardian, and will excel as a pet dog.  Best wishes, and thank you for considering a rescue dog!