Honored Contributor

Do you have any brand name ,and does it help with pet dander?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Air pureifers

[ Edited ]

I have the Orek (actually 2 of them) that I purchased through QVC, I currently do not have a pet but have in the past and I do believe they do help with pet dander, as well as everything else, the amount of dirt/dust that is on the filters amazes me, GROSS!

QVC had one on clearance, but I chose to purchase (my 3rd) elsewhere as the shipping was almost $14.50 and IMO that is a deal breaker for me!

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest,     

A good air purifier will definitely surprise you with what it pulls out of the air in your home.   

My last air cleaner was a Bionaire; under $100, about the size of a cool mist vaporizer, and the filters were about $20.     I bought the air cleaner and first 2 filters at Lowes, but by the time I needed that 3rd filter, the store no longer carried that brand.   I had to order replacement filters directly thru the company until the purifier died.   

I was in Lowes earlier this week to buy a dehumidifier, and also looked at their large Honeywell air purifier priced around $170.  It was a nice unit, and they also had replacement filters available.   

Since you do have dogs inside the house, you will be cleaning/replacing filters often, so I suggest keeping the price of replacement filters in mind when you select the purifier.   

Honored Contributor

Several years ago, Consumers Report did a report on air purifiers.  They said they are generally ineffective and collect stuff from the air the way a tabletop or fan would.  It just settles on it, you clean it, more settles on it.  I've often wondered why people bother with them, except maybe they believe the hype. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 For me it was really out of necessity, when I purchased our first unit we were living in a townhome and the people who lived on the other side of us (we shared a wall that included the master bath and master bedroom) smoked quite heavily, I am allergic to smoke and I could smell the cigarette smoke constantly through the wall, to the point I could no longer sleep in that room.  I purchased the Orek and within a couple of days I could no longer smell the smoke and was able to move back into the bedroom.

I purchased a 2nd unit and leave it in our living room/dining room and have to clean it every 3 weeks, it is disgusting how much dust/dirt collects on the filters, personally I would not live without one!

That has been my experience anyway!

Respected Contributor

Re: Air pureifier

[ Edited ]

I have an IQAIR in my living area and an Austin Pet Machine in my bird room. They both work great, filters are expensive but they last a long time. These are heavy duty machines. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have three--Homedics and Ionic Pro. All of them are hepa and allergy certified. I have one each in the front entry and the family room (downstairs) and one in the bedroom. They also work well for wet dog smell. (I bath our dogs myself)  I prefer one with a timer but that usually adds more to the price. I prefer a washable filter that is permanent.

You really can't smell dog in our home even in the rooms where they sleep and play.I swear by them. 

Respected Contributor

If you have pet birds do not use an air purifier with an ionizer. It is not good for them . 

Respected Contributor

I swear by my Friedrich C90A. It's a tank but is effective with particulate matter and odors.