Respected Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Took my 15 yo kitty to vet for shots and check up.  She seems to be losing weight and fur is coming out in clumps.  Vet was sure it was thyroid (medication for that several years ago almost killed her).  Subsequent blood work showed no thyroid issue.  Doc thought it was that again, she has lot 1 pound in a year.  He was sure he knew what it was but her blood work surprisingly came back perfect.  I was told to switch to kitten food for more protein.  She ate well Mon and Tues but has pretty much stopped eating yesterday and today.  Weighed her and since Monday she has gone from 6 to 5.7 pounds.  She does not seem to be in any distress, she has always been a self feeder and does not overeat.  Any suggestions for getting more protein in her, especially when she doens't want to eat.  I now have 5 cans of open food in the fridge! I even tried putting back her usual food.  He did say he would do xrays if she didn't improve.  Guess you kittly lovers will understand she's my baby.

I feed my chronically sick kitteh Purina Critical Nutrition, an Rx food, and now Hi-Tor Neo, since she has CRF. The Critical Nutrition is very appealing to cats. You could try the meat line of baby food (straight pork, ham, beef, chicken, veal, with NO onions or garlic, in the little jars) and see if that helps.

I had my cat to the vet yesterday and got bad news about weight loss, plus she had a high white blood cell count. So he prescribed an extra antibiotic for 2 weeks (Zeniquin) and an appetite stimulant, Mirtazapine, to be given every 72 hours.

The Mirtazapine has had an amazing impact. Within about 90 minutes she was yelling at me for food, demanding petting, and gobbling everything I set in front of her. The effect has lasted into today. She gets another dose on Saturday. My hope is to regain a few of the several ounces she lost and stay out of the danger zone of 5 pounds or less.

I am buying time since she's nearly 13 and has been  battling this chronic upper respiratory infection her whole life since I rescued her, but these meds will help improve the quality of the time she does have left.

Best of luck with getting your dear kitteh to eat and finding out what ails her. I can highly recommend the Mirtazapine, based on my cat's response. She's had steroids but they've never given her the appetite and feistiness boost that this has.

Super Contributor

@kitty60: Best wishes for your kitty.

Honored Contributor

Re: Aging kitty..

[ Edited ]

Sammycat1 wrote:

A cat who hasn't eaten in two days is in an emergency situation -- you need to get her to a vet ASAP for a thorough look, including a urinalysis and abdominal and chest X-ray.  She could develop something called "fatty liver," which can be fatal if not treated promptly.

Ask your vet and vet techs to show you how to syringe-feed her until they can pin this down. You can also ask for a mild appetite stimulant to help get nutrition into her and meds to treat what may be nausea from her condition.

Offering this as a kitty lover and guardian for 40+ years -- and praying for your baby to get better. Heart

I agree with what Sammycat suggested.

I'm mommy to five kitties (all rescues)

who range in age from 15 to 4,and if

any one of them ever stopped eating

for two days in a row (for me that's

one day too many) it's a red flag and I'd

have my kitty at the vet ASAP.

Sending tons of healing prayers to

your precious girl.HeartCat Happy

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Valued Contributor

Thank you all. This afternoon she has been interested in a bit of food.  Once this after and once this evening.  It is my no means what she is used to eating.  I will call the vet tomorrow as he prescribed ear drops for her ears (she has had chronic problems with her ears, seems to be common with Scottish Folds) and I am wondering if this may have impacted her appetite.  I have used the same drops before and never experienced a problem.  I also gave her a bit of half/half that she lapped up.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad she's eating a little bit.  I would insist to the Vet that you bring her in tomorrow though.  I used to have a Scottish Fold.  He had the greatest personality!  I really loved him a lot.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm glad your kitty has started eating something again.  I agree with the poster who rec. finding out how to syringe feed your furbaby.  Get an oral dosing syringe ( has a bigger opening for the medication/food to dispense out of) and get a can of A/D or some kind of pate like Critical Care canned food to have on hand so you can help her over the hump of her not eating.  I tried SO many things for my sick kitty and ended up with the A/D and Sheba perfect portions Pate oceanfish flavor. That one is the softest and smoothest when you stir it up.  Trinket is now eating Fancy feast and sheba soft foods.  She has started vomiting the crunchy I/D so, no more of that. She likes the canned she Gets the canned.  About the fur loss, Is she going bald where the fur is coming out?  How does the skin look in those areas?  Cats shed when stressed, but don't go bald in patches.  Hope your senior kitty continues on the upswing!

Respected Contributor

@@noodleann Have you looked into Lysine for your kittys chronic upper resipratory infection?  If it's of viral origin that may help.  Giving fluids under the skin can help CRF cats but that is deffinately a "team" effort. The fluids do make a difference for my girl but I can see some cats might not tolerate the whole process.  Looks like you and your kitty have your system down pat. Hope she continues to do well.  And Yeah, Isn't it crazy that some baby foods have onion or garlic powder in them?! 

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@@noodleann Have you looked into Lysine for your kittys chronic upper resipratory infection?  If it's of viral origin that may help.  Giving fluids under the skin can help CRF cats but that is deffinately a "team" effort. The fluids do make a difference for my girl but I can see some cats might not tolerate the whole process.  Looks like you and your kitty have your system down pat. Hope she continues to do well.  And Yeah, Isn't it crazy that some baby foods have onion or garlic powder in them?! 

No, I haven't tried Lysine and will look into that.

I did subQs on my first cat, and she was pretty tolerant. I now have a big part of the problem licked--dealing with the bag--since I have a holder from when I was on IV antibiotics and needed a stand for the drips. Apart from that, a towel and the right tenting and injection technique, plus holding her steady, should be enough. This cat is very small and tolerates handling well.

Thanks for your feedback, and I'll definitely look into the Lysine.

Glad to hear the OP's kitteh is eating a bit. Every bite counts!

Honored Contributor

I second the lysine if it's feline herpes. One of my kitten rescues was very sick when I brought him home and I put him on the lysine treats ( plus meds from the vet) and it really helped. He's 7 now and doesn't need them though. Stress can cause symptoms to return. I bought mine on Amazon. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Prayers to your fur baby from me and the boys.image.jpg

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!