Honored Contributor

Re: Advice please: blue heeler dog breed

Seems like if the parents are paying for the house, the parents should have the say of what goes on in that house and if daughter doesn't like it, daughter can pay her own way.
Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I must be ogres.  There is no way we would pay for an apartment for our college student child and let their boyfriend/girlfriend live there free, especially since we don't believe this is morally right (JMO).  Also, the idea of leaving a dog for this many hours borders on abuse. (Again, JMO)  I would have to put my foot down, especially since the parents probably paid the deposit, too.  She will have plenty of time in life to have a dog and care for it properly.  With her entering med school, all I can say is "poor dog".  Those people at the rescue place did a real disservice to this dog.

As far as the dog whining at night to go out, we can only hope and pray that one of them gets up and takes it out.  Hello med student, that is what puppies and grown dogs do.  Most people would be happy that the dog is smart enough to alert the people it needs to go out. 

As you can probably tell from my post, this whole scenario makes me sad and sick.  Enough!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

This dog will end up back at a shelter sooner then later. I can't believe they were able to adopt. Any good rescue this would not of happened. This is why pets end up in shelters. People get pets and have no idea how to care for one.
Honored Contributor

I agree that they should never have been allowed to adopt this dog.  The fault really lies with the Rescue group.  I know the Rescue groups that I've been involved with would never have let her adopt this dog.  She should do the responsible thing and return the dog to the rescue group.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@homedecor1.  What happened to the Blue Heeler?  Inquiring minds want to know, especially the ones that took time to reply to you.

Well I just talked to my friend and DOG/boyfriend are keepers! My friend said her daughter is relying on her boyfriend to care for him...he doesn't start new job until 9/5. She starts medical school 9/24.  Apparently, she's rounded up some new friends to walk dog during school hours, etc.Her only complaint is he "whines" and barks thru the nite to go out. Her answer is he's a puppy!

im sure more tales will come but for now that's what they have decided to do. Parents are furious as they are worried for daughter and boyfriend is lazier than a slug that the dog will destroy house for which they pay for! Oh well......

Sad, I was hoping common sense would prevail.  Bet the dog doesn't last long.  One big chewing disaster and he'll be gone (maybe boyfriend too).  Why do smart girls pick such dumb boyfriends?  Oh well, that's another thread.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@homedecor1.  What happened to the Blue Heeler?  Inquiring minds want to know, especially the ones that took time to reply to you.

Well I just talked to my friend and DOG/boyfriend are keepers! My friend said her daughter is relying on her boyfriend to care for him...he doesn't start new job until 9/5. She starts medical school 9/24.  Apparently, she's rounded up some new friends to walk dog during school hours, etc.Her only complaint is he "whines" and barks thru the nite to go out. Her answer is he's a puppy!

im sure more tales will come but for now that's what they have decided to do. Parents are furious as they are worried for daughter and boyfriend is lazier than a slug that the dog will destroy house for which they pay for! Oh well......

Sad, I was hoping common sense would prevail.  Bet the dog doesn't last long.  One big chewing disaster and he'll be gone (maybe boyfriend too).  Why do smart girls pick such dumb boyfriends?  Oh well, that's another thread.

TOO Funny!  (about boyfriends, not the dog situation)

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a mix blue heeler/cattle dog and they need a lot of room to run.They like to catch frisbees. Why get a dog when you are not home? I hope the dog isnt't in a crate while she is gone too. i am surprised they let her adopt the dog.I can't imagine having a dog living in an apartment. It's not like you can let it out to go potty. What a hassle.

Honored Contributor

image.jpg

Dog and boyfriend win!  They have hired a doggy sitter ... Hmm I think she is a bit cray BUT she's an adult.  Not heard any good things from her parents about the dog plus she doesn't start graduate program til 8/31 and he is scheduled to start new job 9/3. Guess topic for them is closed!

We had blue heelers for 25 years. They are NOT hounds. They are a herding dog. They love to be outside. They need space to run. They are not a good dog for an apartment. Sounds like you would be better off with a cat if you want a companion.