Honored Contributor
Our little Yorkie came home from the hospital after a bad bout of pancreatitis. We are starting out slowly on trying to get her to eat. She ate some yesterday, but this is going to be a learning experience for all of us since it can be life threatening. We know it needs to be low fat and we have Hills prescription for her. I'm seeking advice on how other "parents" who have little ones with this, are treating their little ones. I'd like to know what foods you're feeding and keeping your little one well. We're so glad to have her home and we want to get her totally back to feeling good and well again, knowing this condition is forever for her. Would really appreciate your info. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Advice on what to feed her

@qualitygal This is one illness my dogs have never had, but I just wanted to say that she is blessed to have a caring mom.  Love goes a long way in recovery.  

Valued Contributor

My dog was very sick and wouldn't eat or drink.  I found Progresso Cooking stock unsalted. I mixed that with water and she began drinking everything I gave her.  I still give it to both of my dogs and they love it.  Your vet should guide you on what to give your dog and I would make a list of things your dog likes and ask him specifically.  At least call the techs at the vet's office and don't try to go it alone.

Respected Contributor

Right now I'd follow my vet's directions to a 'T'.  I've had my furbabies on Hills before also; we were dealing w/kidney problems. Pancreas problems seem to be more serious.

Best wishes for a complete recovery. This can be even more nerve wracking than a child being ill, but just as distressing.

Contributor

I am a licensed Vet Tech, so hopefully I can help with your feeding issues. First off, pancreatitis can be deadly and is nothing to be taken lightly. I would assume that your Vet put your dog on i/d. which is a prescription dog food. It comes in canned and dry varieties, so hopefully your dog will take to one or the other. Until your Vet says it's OK to feed something other than the i/d, don't feed anything else. I do speak from personal experience, our dog had pancreatits also`and the i/d was what brought her back from certain death until she could tolerate other foods. I understand that this food is costly, but your pet can die from pancreatitis. You need to stay in contact with your Vet, so that your dog can heal. Unfortunately, pancreatits is a slow process, but your dog CAN get better is you stick with the diet. Hope this helps!

Regular Visitor

my Bichon had Pancreatits just this week ...the Vet said it was very serious and could be deadly. the Vet said she thinks we caught it in time ...she is on some meds and I am to feed her boiled chicken and rice until she is better.  hope this helps.   She seems better but still not back to her normal self.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had one of my babies almost died from this years ago. She stayed in the hospital for almost a week on iv fluids. When our vet released her, he told me I could keep her  on boiled white meat chicken and rice. I was already cooking her food and started this diet immediately. She loved it and lived for many years after. She never had another episode and she didn't die from anything related to her illness. 

I hope your baby has many more happy, healthy years with you!

Frequent Contributor

I had a dog that not only had pancreatitis, but also colitis and other related G/I issues. She was very very ill and I almost lost her a number of times.   I spent thousands of dollars on her care and when she passed,  my vet made a donation in her name to the University of VA Veterinarian Hospital program.    He told me that they learned a lot from her.   I dealt with her challenges for 9 years,  so you have a lot of happy years ahead of you with your dog.   But,  I strongly recommend that you only give her the i/d diet as suggested. Nothing else.   My vet told me to only feed her the canned version, that she would never be able to tolerate the dry version.    When she was having episodes,  I would sometimes boil white rice and chicken just so she would eat something (real food was a treat for her!) but I always went right back to the i/d.     Yes it is very expensive but so worth it.   (And don't feel bad that you can no longer give her treats,  your love is enough!)   Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 My dog also had this problem and I cooked much the same food except I could put in lots of carrots and a little broccoli.I also put in some turmeric.My dog passed at 18 but she also had cancer so I do agree the diet is a good one for sick dogs.My vet was also surprised by how well my dog did snd how long she lived and I think the diet helped.i used only organic veg and chicken.

Trusted Contributor

Whatnow, I'm so glad the diet worked for your baby, too. When mine first got sick, I tried the canned food and she HATED it. I didn't know what to do. I was so relieved when my vet told me she would do just as well on home cooked food, providing it was lowfat. 

You talked about adding veggies and it made me remember how I used to try to add peas to her meal. I would go to pick up her bowl to wash it and the peas were always still there! She would manage to get the peas completely cleaned of any chicken and rice but she was having none of them. Thanks for reminding me about this. It always made me laugh. Istill miss her after all these years.