Respected Contributor

Advice Please... Visiting 2nd dog to my house

Some advice and suggestion would be appreciated... I have a small chi- terrier Skye, whom I love to pieces and is super protective.  

On Thanksgiving a friend who is a recent widower will be visiting with his dog, whom I know, is a relaxed, more shy dog, but larger than my dog.

What steps do I take to get my dog to get along with the visitor dog, so the holiday is joyful and calm?  

Thanks pet lovers!  Wishes to all for a joyful Thanksgiving next week! 

Valued Contributor

Re: Advice Please... Visiting 2nd dog to my house

Super protective can mean aggressive or just a growl.  As long as your dog receives the same amount of attention all should go well.  If your dog shows an unwillingness to accept the visiting pooch I would have a treat ready for both dogs to distract them from any aggressive behavior.  If you can have them play with a toy they will soon realize it is fun to have a buddy and not a threat to the happy home.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

INTRODUCE THEM OUTSIDE of your home.   Your home is your dog's territory.  Outside is neutral territory.  An intro outdoors to see how they like each other would be a good first start. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your talking a few hours for dinner and some visiting why not just keep them separate.  It can sometimes be a process introducing two dogs that may not be accomplished in an afternoon.  They can take turns spending time quietly crated in the bedroom.  Then you can enjoy your dinner and not worry.  Food and toys are the biggest triggers for dog fights.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

My brother used to bring his dog for the holidays. His dog was a very social happy go lucky guy. Our dog is apprehensive, not at all social rescue guy that had little human contact.

And you know what - the dogs seemed to work things out. They got along. Of course, my brother's dog made himself right at home.  Can't say my dog was thrilled to have a room mate. Both dogs were collies - so their size was the same . But we were so pleased the dogs worked it out and there were no problems with the two guys.

Hope things work put for you too.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on the length of the stay.  If it is just for the day, then I encourage the separation option.  First, as the other poster suggested, introduce them outside of the house.  Remove toys or anyrhing that your dog is very possessive of.  You can try to see if they get along, but why bother? You'll always have to keep your eye on them because you've already suggested there could be a problem.

Thanksgiving is sort of hectic and stress-inducing anyway.  Better to take them - or the visiting dog - for a nice long walk, then put them in their separate spaces - crate the visitor if he's OK with that.  Exercise will help a lot.

Trusted Contributor

I llike the idea of exercise and putting them in seperate rooms.  If your friends dog has a favorite bed, he should bring it along and the dog could nap in another room while you all eat.  If the dogs do not seem to get along, I would keep them apart until after the meal.  You should be able to enjoy the meal in peace.

I wish the the best of luck and hopefully the dogs get along.  Let us know how it goes.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other posters @Skyegirl21, If it is just for the day, then I would say have them both exercised and keep them in separate rooms.  A tired dog is usually a happy dog.

If it is a longer stay, introduce them and stay with them when together.  If they appear to get along, let them mingle with you present.  If not, keep them separate.  Happy Thanksgiving.  LM

Respected Contributor

I would never take my dogs to anyone's house.  I love my dogs but don't want anyone to bring their dogs to my house.  Once a friend said someone said she could take her big german shepherd to their house (indoor dog).  I told her they do not mean it they were just being nice.  No one could want that.  If you are going to someone's home make other arrangements for the dog.  I use to date someone who brought his dog with him when he came to my house and it made me a wreck. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I would never take my dogs to anyone's house.  I love my dogs but don't want anyone to bring their dogs to my house.  Once a friend said someone said she could take her big german shepherd to their house (indoor dog).  I told her they do not mean it they were just being nice.  No one could want that.  If you are going to someone's home make other arrangements for the dog.  I use to date someone who brought his dog with him when he came to my house and it made me a wreck. 

I would think that would be a decision made by the parties involved.  Your personal preferrence is yours not everyones.  I often travel with my dogs, it is always a discussion I have in advance, and all parties have agreed on the visit.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.