Respected Contributor

Re: Advice Please... Visiting 2nd dog to my house

I agree with the others here who have suggested that the dogs meet outside of the home.  By that it should be not on your dog's property at all.  Your baby is probably protective of his/her own back and front yard.  Keep them leashed while introducing them.  Then walk them together to the point of tiring,  Take them home and put them in separate rooms (I do not crate).   

We take our dogs to certain friends and family's homes where there are always other dogs, they have gotten to know each other (mine are both 3 yrs old) so the stress is gone.  We are travelling with them for Thanksgiving

Enjoy your guests and their baby!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

All good ideas. And remember, your dog will be watching your reaction, feeding off your emotions. If you have the attitude that all is well, then all should be well.

I'm a life-long dog owner, but no expert. I do watch Cesar Milan, and he tells people to "Keep breathing".

When I had my first baby, I had 2 dogs, around 6 and 11 years old. People would say, "What will you do if they don't accept the baby?". I had the attitude that they would, and they did, no issues at all.

Good luck, and happy holidays!

P.S.: Keep breathing.

Trusted Contributor

You should already be the PACK LEADER in YOUR home. You need to be in charge and need to set the tone to your dog that these are YOUR guests. Correct his or her bad behavior immediately and keep correcting until they understand that you are in charge. A dog that doesn't feel they have to be their owners protector (because you are the pack leader) is a content and relaxed dog. Good luck with your visit. 👍🏼

By the way, the visiting dog will respect you too if they recognize you as the pack leader in your home. 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

You should already be the PACK LEADER in YOUR home. You need to be in charge and need to set the tone to your dog that these are YOUR guests. Correct his or her bad behavior immediately and keep correcting until they understand that you are in charge. A dog that doesn't feel they have to be their owners protector (because you are the pack leader) is a content and relaxed dog. Good luck with your visit. 👍🏼

By the way, the visiting dog will respect you too if they recognize you as the pack leader in your home. 

OMG, are you serious.  Please turn off that man and learn about positive reinforcement techniques.  He is like those nuns and their ruler from elementary school, way out dated.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Could not be more serious. 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Could not be more serious. 

Sorry to hear that

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I would never take my dogs to anyone's house.  I love my dogs but don't want anyone to bring their dogs to my house.  Once a friend said someone said she could take her big german shepherd to their house (indoor dog).  I told her they do not mean it they were just being nice.  No one could want that.  If you are going to someone's home make other arrangements for the dog.  I use to date someone who brought his dog with him when he came to my house and it made me a wreck. 

I would think that would be a decision made by the parties involved.  Your personal preferrence is yours not everyones.  I often travel with my dogs, it is always a discussion I have in advance, and all parties have agreed on the visit.

@CrazyDaisy. I totally agree with you.  Actuallym my furbaby gets the invitation on holidays, with Mama to come alongWoman Frustrated!  And, furbaby get terribl spoiled and catered to.  But, my aunt, now 95 with dementia, always reacts and interacts very well with the furry one!  Guess there's something about dogs that makes people feel better!

Respected Contributor

Dear Pet Lover friends,

Sincere thanks for all the great thoughts and suggestions for my advance planning. I appreciate  the discussion of the various strategies, since I know both dogs and they have been together before on the other dogs territory where  my little bold chi mix was the alpha!  So walking them together on neutral territory is a great idea as well as portraying the attitude of acceptance.. I will let them get used to the situation while keeping my dog tethered, and separated and have the crate nearby if needed.  Better to make sure both dogs be safe, and she will be fine for the day.   Great ideas! Happy , healthy turkey day!!